lemonade done... should i still stabilize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zahna

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my hard pink lemonade is done with primary fermentation. Right now it's pretty darn dry so I'm wanting to sweeten it a bit. Are sulfites necessary even though it's done fermenting? I was thinking of adding just potassium sorbate to keep it from re-fermenting when i add sugar to sweeten it. People, give me your opinions! Thanks!

i added about 1 1/2 cups of lactose to my hard lemonade to reduce the pucker power.
i then primed as usual for beer and ended up with 8.5% sparkling lemonade that everyone who has tried it likes:tank:
just started another batch today

zahna said:
Hey everyone, my hard pink lemonade is done with primary fermentation. Right now it's pretty darn dry so I'm wanting to sweeten it a bit. Are sulfites necessary even though it's done fermenting? I was thinking of adding just potassium sorbate to keep it from re-fermenting when i add sugar to sweeten it. People, give me your opinions! Thanks!

You got my interest how did you go about making hard lemonade?
I might try this myself :p

Thanks for reminding me Guys! I've just tasted one of mine (my Ey Oop! Version 2) that i've been conditioning for a few months that i'd almost forgotten about. Very tasty it was too! I'll save the rest for Christmas! :D

If you use K sorbate without the sulfite, you have a risk (albeit small) of it smelling and tasting like geraniums. K sorbate works better in the presence of sulfite and will make sure you don't get the geranium aftertaste. Really, there isn't any reason not to sulfite if you plan on sweetening and/or sorbate.

JeanLuc & Xpoc-
There are recipes on hard lemonade on this forum (I've posted a bit about it myself). It can be hard to start fermentation on it, so make sure you "baby" the yeast and starter.

Lorena

i added about 1 1/2 cups of lactose to my hard lemonade to reduce the pucker power.
i then primed as usual for beer and ended up with 8.5% sparkling lemonade that everyone who has tried it likes:tank:
just started another batch today

That sounds like a good way to do it. 1 and 1/2 cups lactose on what volume of lemonade? What sugar/volume were you using for the priming? How did the shelf life turn out (time until good to drink / time to throw away)? Would love to try this approach.
Thx!

Back