Gold Rush - Jungle Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolcoms

Reaction score
So who wants to move to Alaska with me and go dig up some gold! Anyone else watch these shows? I might do the Alaska thing, but not in India. My brother and I have been thinking of doing some prospecting in Northern California.

I do watch the show, however I feel like all of those guys in the Alaska Gold Rush are idiots. Todd is always making stupid decisions for the group and it never turns out good. I have a feel that you may have to go up to Alaska to do some prospecting. I would think that over the past 150 years that nearly all of the gold that was assessable without having major cost incurred has already been dug up. You would almost have to continue to go further north to find gold on land nobody has ever stepped foot on..

I was thinking maybe the High Sierras here in California. I agree that Todd does make some dumb decisions. Especially about the wash plant. The eager beaver cost his team a month of no mining.

I watch both the gold reality show ones. What ever happened to the jousting one though? I liked that one better.

+HopSpunge+ said:
I watch both the gold reality show ones. What ever happened to the jousting one though? I liked that one better.

They grew up and got real jobs. The end

They grew up and got real jobs. The end

So the guy that lost in the first round? nice to meet you!

I love gold rush, and yes todd is an overconfident idiot.

Fell metal jousting was an awesome show, they ended the season and no more though, must not have got good enough ratings

Todd is definatly a idiot, but those guys in Jungle Gold make him look smart. I watched the jungle gold show once and that was more than enough for me.

Airplanedoc said:
Todd is definatly a idiot, but those guys in Jungle Gold make him look smart. I watched the jungle gold show once and that was more than enough for me.

Lol ya the Jungle Gold guys are dumb, but for me it's the danger and craziness that they encounter in the show that makes me watch.

Why are you going to go all the way up to Northern California I have heard there is gold mining up in Holcomb Valley up near Big Bear. Might be away to go get your feet wet with out traveling all the way to Alaska.

I think Discovery pays Todd to make retarded decisions. There wouldn't be much of a show if everyday was, "So we got a few more ounces and everything is running smoothly." Him ripping the wash plant out and Dave somehow managing to test drill the wrong plot of land seem kind of like staged disasters to me.

It's a reality tv show...... The people in the show get no money, only if they start doing commercials

jkings52 said:
Why are you going to go all the way up to Northern California I have heard there is gold mining up in Holcomb Valley up near Big Bear. Might be away to go get your feet wet with out traveling all the way to Alaska.

From what I've searched and read online, the best places would be northern cali, but I have heard about big bear. Like you said, maybe a good place to get my feet wet

It's a reality tv show...... The people in the show get no money, only if they start doing commercials

They get paid by Discovery. It's not like Discovery just showed up on a random gold mine, shot an episode, then left. This is a show completely about these guys. Discovery is making a tidy profit off of it and the cast is entitled to some of it.

Do you honestly think that the crab fisherman, the american chopper guys, and the rest of them are allowing Discovery to shoot them and rake in massive rating profits without getting a cut?

For me I think they shouldn't get paid, so yes I guess I do believe they get no payment from the said shows, but I'm sure I can be wrong. I swear I watched an episode of After the Catch where a fan asked if they get any compensation from discovery and they said no.

I think it's pretty obvious Discovery is bank rolling the Hoffman portion of Gold Rush.

First season they laid out like 250k for equipment and everything. Supposedly everyone except Dave was down on their luck unemployed and about to be foreclosed on. After season one they got, what, 10k in gold? How did anyone stay afloat then? 240k in the whole no jobs and yet they somehow manage to scrape up enough to not only give season 2 a go, but get bigger equipment...

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching the show. I just realize that it's not really real (if that makes any sense).

I want Parker to knock out club foot Fred.
+1^
I'm thinking along the same line everyone else is (idiots) and if they are the idiots of the gold business in Alaska then what would you call the guys on Bering sea gold? Think about that one. NASA is missing a few rocket scientists.

+1^
I'm thinking along the same line everyone else is (idiots) and if they are the idiots of the gold business in Alaska then what would you call the guys on Bering sea gold? Think about that one. NASA is missing a few rocket scientists.

I really enjoyed the Bering Sea version, very entertaining.

OK I will admit it. Im hooked on these damn shows. I dont care if they are mining for gold, rummaging through junk, busting open lockers, restoring old crap, fixing old cars... I watch it all!

davekippen said:
OK I will admit it. Im hooked on these damn shows. I dont care if they are mining for gold, rummaging through junk, busting open lockers, restoring old crap, fixing old cars... I watch it all!

Even the amish mafia? Thats bad :)

So who is going to get all the gold this year?!
My money is on Parker. On some of the overhead shots it shows the hillside that they cleared in the winter and now it is scraped down to bedrock- I bet he hit it big up on the hill. Just as long as it isn't Fred or Todd.

I hope it's Parker.

Fred and his son have become increasingly annoying especially over the bridge debacle. If access isn't guaranteed in the contract then that's business. Just the same as the whole electrical panel saga..

Toad and the Hoffman crew won't hit it big. The only hope that crew has of doing well lies with Dave.

The bridge thing was an example of how the producers turn stuff into drama. Fred had to know that the state was going to work on the bridge and I'm sure they got a letter from the state with all the details about access, but then the producers make it like it's some sort of surprise that they will be landlocked for a week.
It's the same as Toad not getting his wash plant; he knew the new one wasn't ready but he told 'em to tear out the old one because it makes good TV.
I wonder how much they get paid per episode? I heard that it is actually based on camera time; you get an amount, say $50 per minute, for being on screen.
The Africa guys actually scare me because I think someone will end up dead before it is all over. Remember what your Mom said, "it's all fun and games until someone gets shot or stabbed."

I definitely agree with that.

The State of Alaska doesn't just show up one day and rip out your bridge with no notice.

As I said previously, Discovery pays Toad to be stupid. Drama makes good TV and it would be pretty boring watching a gold mine where everything was working like it should.

That must be why they don't show that guy Tony Beets. He would have a bunch of dozers and trucks going back and forth to a wash plant all day without breaking down. And he would be producing gold each day.
What was with Dave's bad cleanout? Is his fancy wash plant F'ed up?

Tony Beets is a guy you do a one shot episode on about how gold mining works. After one episode the same back and forth and producing gold would become insanely boring.

I don't know about Dave's wash plant. It's designed by that guy who seems to know his stuff about gold recovery so perhaps the plot isn't as super awesome as they thought? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they never did test drill it so the only thing they have to go off of is the word of the guy who is leasing it to them and that one pan they did after they removed the overburden. It would be shame if it's a bum plot. Part of me really wants Dave to carry team hoffman and make Toad look like an even bigger bearded tool.

I just saw a commercial during Jungle Gold with Toad saying "It's over for Indian River." What?! They just had a 55 oz run. Who knows what will happen in next weeks episode but I call BS! I bet its just Discovery trying to force drama buildup...as they are wont to do...

I just saw a commercial during Jungle Gold with Toad saying "It's over for Indian River." What?! They just had a 55 oz run. Who knows what will happen in next weeks episode but I call BS! I bet its just Discovery trying to force drama buildup...as they are wont to do...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think that the new trommel and all the dirt they built up at Quartz Creek kills it next week, and they're referring to the 500 oz competition between the two sites. Either that or Dave's new wash plant blows up in a major way.

They pulled 55oz at Big Nugget, not Indian River.

Bobby_M said:
They pulled 55oz at Big Nugget, not Indian River.

I stand corrected. Thanks!

It was 30 oz at Indian River which is still nothing to sneeze at. I had gotten into a few homebrews before I posted last night :drunk:

No, they test drilled it. This is actually the plot where they ran their first test drill, the one that was on the wrong plot.

So they did and I stand corrected.

Apparently the gold is a bit deeper than they expected so there is still hope for Dave's team.

Latest posts

Back