Vortex Stir Plate 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman13

Reaction score
Norther Brewer has a "Vortex 2.0" now. Has anyone used it yet? Is it much better than the original?

From their website:
"New and improved! We listened to your feedback and have collaborated with our suppliers to deliver more reliability and better components. Improved, sleek controls mean that you've got even more power at your fingertips to deliver the best fermentation every time."

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-vortex-stir-plate.html

I just ordered one, I'll write about it once I use it.

Wow. I mean, it's pretty and all, but $100 for something you can cobble together for under $20 - even less if you have a few of the bits on hand - seems pretty tough...

Cheers!

I had no luck with my DIY stir plate.. It was off balance and would always throw the stirbar..

I decided to give this one a try because I had some points saved up. I got mine from Midwest Supply.. And I will say I love it.. Its pretty powerful and very balanced. They even told me they tested it with 2L and ran it for a month straight just to test the motor and the it had zero issues.

It may be a bit on the high end for the cost but I think it looks nice, holds a 2L flask perfectly.. So it was worth it to me.

Anyone with the Vortex 2.0 tried anything bigger than 2L? I'm interested in buying, but worry about scaling up for bigger batches.

I've had my Vortex 2.0 for about a month and a half now. I've never tried anything above 1.5L with it because I only have a 1" bar. It was just too much wort for a 1" bar to move beyond that.

Oh, and my $100 Vortex 2.0....it just crapped out on me stirring 700mL. :mad:

I have had no issues with mine and full 2 liter starters. It will spin up and down no problem. Sometimes you have to get it right by slowly increasing the RPMs.

For less than $100, you can probably hit up a scientific surplus store and get a used Corning or some other scientific brand. Speaking from experience, the Cornings are built like tanks. I stir 5 L on all four of mine pretty consistently and they all work well. Also if you have problems with the stirbar kicking, adjust the stirbar size or try putting a thin layer of styrofoam in between the stir plate and your flask.

Also remember that you don't have to crank it up while stirring. A small vortex and enough stirring force to simply keep things in suspension is more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back