Cleaning a mash tun with a braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I just built my mash tun w A braid. I'm wondering how everyone cleans it after brew day. Do you take the braid apart for cleaning regularly. Or just run cleaner through it a few times and call it done. I use to mash in a bag in the cooler so cleaning was a breeze. Thanks

I don't really "clean" my mash tun. I just dump the grain, and give everything a rinse. It's a pre-boil item, so it really doesn't need a lot of extra attention.

I dump it, rinse it and then soak oxy free in it and run it through the braid and valve, massage the braid after a batch and you will get chunks out. I disassemble every 2-3 batches.

I'm wondering why you switched from mashing in a bag. I like it but u haven't done a whole lot of batches with it

Erroneous said:
I'm wondering why you switched from mashing in a bag. I like it but u haven't done a whole lot of batches with it

I've done 3 batches with about 12-14 lb grain bills in a 10 gal cooler with 2 five gallon paint strainer bags. It worked excellent. . I'm just looking to do more larger grain bills and try batch sparging

I don't really "clean" my mash tun. I just dump the grain, and give everything a rinse. It's a pre-boil item, so it really doesn't need a lot of extra attention.

This. A quick rinse with water is all that is needed.

I blast mine out with hot water and the let some PBW sit in it for about 10 minutes then flush it thoroughly. If I am lazy I just rinse thoroughly with hot water and call it a day.

Everything that passes through it gets boiled anyway so no big worries there.

I use a CPVC manifold instead of a braid and it is easily removable. I take it out to clean (i.e. rinse) because I have just started using a 5 gallon paint strainer bag around it while mashing and it gets pretty messy. I got the idea off someone on HBT. The bag keeps just about everything out of the manifold, it almost makes vorlaufing unnecessary. Back on topic - during the boil I fill the mash tun with hot water and Oxy and then use it to soak things like the paint strainer bag, manifold, tubing, etc. At the end of the boil, everything gets rinsed with the runoff from the immersion chiller.

Latest posts

Back