oktoberfest smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafeeker

Reaction score
So, i brewed a batch of oktoberfest recently. It was my first lager and my second beer with a yeast starter. I realized that the marzen yeast i used was faulty, and after a few days of no fermentation, i decided to pitch two packets of dry lager yeast from my local hbs. anyway, that took care of it and it fermented, but had some off flavors. A weird sweetness, i would say. And it the aroma is just like strawberry preserves. Anyone ever have this, or know what its caused by?

I wouldn't worry about it. Yeast loves to make aromas - even lager yeasts, if fermented away from their lower temp range. And lagers take quite a while to work off all the off-flavors in beer - that's why we lager in the first place. Cleaness takes time. So far as sweetness goes, take a hydro reading and make sure you've hit FG; if so, again, don't worry about it. Things smooth out and balance over time.

Back