Clean up after fermentation restarts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Belgian Pale Ale using WLP515. OG=1.064. Kept in my ferm chamber at 65F for the first week then moved to a cold, steady room to make room for another batch. After 2.5 weeks in primary, the beer was at 1.020 - a bit higher than expected about at about 70% attenuation.

Around that time, I also dry-hopped and my room got around a steady 70F (thanks to a Southern winter heat wave). With those things, the fermentation kicked back up and I helped it along by shaking the fermenter gently.

Question is... even once the FG settles, do you think it needs another week or two for the yeasties to clean up or is it ready for bottling?

i might give it another week after the FG settles cant hurt and will give it some time to clear up a bit

Should have mentioned... my only concern about leaving it for longer is that I already put in some dry hops. I expect the FG to settle about a week after I had put in the dry hops.

what's making you say fermentation kicked back off? if it's a bubbling airlock you're seeing, that's probably due to the rise in temp and the adding of dry hops and not anything else.

what's making you say fermentation kicked back off? if it's a bubbling airlock you're seeing, that's probably due to the rise in temp and the adding of dry hops and not anything else.

I checked and the gravity had dropped by a point or two. Plus there's a small krausen forming. Plus the air lock has been bubbling for four days.

well, if the gravities dropping, it's kicked back off, indeed. just my $.02, but next time you should wait til FG is stable for a few days before racking the beer off the main cake, for whatever reason.

well, if the gravities dropping, it's kicked back off, indeed. just my $.02, but next time you should wait til FG is stable for a few days before racking the beer off the main cake, for whatever reason.

Should have been more clear... it actually is still on the main cake (I dry hop in primary). The FG was stable, and since 70% attenuation is reasonable (if a bit lower than expected), I figured it was done. I've never had it kick back up like this.

You should give it more time. 1.020 is too high. Belgian yeasts are famous for taking a long time to get the last few points down. Keep the temp up for atleast another week and then check the gravity.

Rushing a Belgian is running the risk of bottle bombs.

Back