Used Freezer has small Rust Spots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just purchased this 15 cu ft freezer on Craigs List for $40. Thought it was a heck of a deal. It has a few small rust areas on the interior (see pic). What would you best recommend at treating? Or does it even look bad enough to require treatment? I've read about this Damp Dry stuff but not quite sure how it works.

I will be using this a fermentation chamber for mostly ales, then progressing to lagers at a later date.

Thanks!

Freezer Pic.jpg

photo.jpg

A can of Rustoleum spray paint would be my method.

That would encapsulate the existing rust, yes. But would not seal the voids that allow the moisture to reach the untreated edges of the material where the rust starts to form and it would only continue to rust underneath the film layer.

As Niel Young said, rust never sleeps...for a forty dollar investment, I would not fret...RDWHAHB...keezers are usually damp inside and will develop that type of issue IME.

Fix it if you are so inclined...but you may find it rusting elsewhere in the near future.

Clean off as much rust as possible. Spray a coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer. That solidifies the rust into a paint-able form. Then spray a top coat of Rustoleum Stops Rust formula paint.

Back