possible bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
I am just about to bottle a batch. Added my priming sugar, and am all set to go.

my FG is at 1.011 and my OG was 1.040. I then realized it went into the primary only seven days ago!

Is this setting myself up for disaster???

It probably wouldn't go much lower anyway, but it's always a good idea to take the SG at least three days apart to see if it's changing. If you took the SG two days ago and it was 1.011, then no worries about bottle bombs. If you didn't, well, hopefully it was done.

WLP 550 Belgian ale yeast from white labs. The comments on their site read about 1.011 was standard

EDIT: Have'nt seen a bubble either in days. The reading two days ago was 1.020....hopefully im not going to ruin my apt with this one.

Yeah, probably fine then, but like Yooper said, taking a read a few days will help you confirm.

Just because people leave their beers in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks (or longer) doesn't mean it's fermenting that whole time. I had one beer finish in 5 days, and I bottled it 2 days later. As long as your gravity readings stay constant, you're fine. Your FG is low enough that it probably wouldn't ever go lower. However, if you bottled at 1.018 then you might have been in trouble. 5 ounces of priming sugar will raise your gravity by roughly 3 points.

Back