white film on edges of carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbeats

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer with an addition of blueberry juice added to the secondary. There is a thin white film on the first and second horizontal edges. Does anyone know what this is? I hat has been in the secondary for 25 days.
Thanks.

Most likely yeast that has flocculated on the inner bevels. I get the same thing. When I cold crash, they drop off the bevels to the bottom.

it is also possible that you have an infection from unwanted bacteria. Take a sample and taste it. If it is good then it is fine.. if it is really sour and awful then its prolly infected.

Thank again to the brain trust! I will taste it today and report back.

It is almost certainly yeast settling on the horizontal ribs in your carboy and not an infection. Infections live on the surface.

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to say that it tastes great, and the beer is really sweet from the blueberry juice. I took a reading which was at 1.019 and the OG was 1.050. That means around 4% ABV. Should I keep waiting to see if I can go higher, even though it tastes nice, if a bit sweet or bottle now? Any suggestions. I will have to add some gelatin (I think that is what it's called) to clarify it. It has lots of flying kreusen and yeast.

Back