Getting Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robschmit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am just getting started in brewing and would like to know if there are any recommendations (outside of this site) for noobs on how to brew, it could be a good book, dvd or website. I mean I've brewed 3 batches so far (with someone a lot more experienced than myself) but there is still a lot that I don't know whether it be certain terminology, difference between different types of brewing or just any info that you wished you knew when you got started! I thank you for any help or advice!

Cheers

Papazian, Palmer and/or Miller

Papazian and Miller links are to Amazon, Palmer has a book, but the link here is to online version

all are highly recommended

also: if you have a question, first place to start is with this forum, HBT. check the appropriate section, especially for STICKIES. if the answer is not there, this is a great group of people more than happy to help out us n00bs.

more: check your local area for brew clubs. if beer is a social lubricant, brewing it is INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH. I just started in 2 local clubs and even before I met anyone, I had offers from members to lend me equipment, if I needed it.

& welcome to the obsession

Last edited by a moderator:
:ban: Welcome to the club!!:mug:
Ok books? all kinds i would recomend the complete joy of homebrewing
and the brewmasters bible, and brewing beer for dummies it is a great book full of good information that i own and still use

Welcome to the obsession!

As for books, I'd recommend checking out "How to Brew" by John Palmer or "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. The first edition of John Palmer's book is available for free on the interwebz, but you'd be better served by finding a hard copy of the most recent edition. At least with the web version you can "try before you buy" and see if it's something you'll at least enjoy reading.

Over at The Brewing Network you'll find plenty of podcasts. I found Jamil's earlier shows on classic styles particularly helpful especially when brewing a beer I've never had the pleasure of trying.

Thanks for the quick responses! I will check out each of these! I always find myself checking through this site for questions but haven't ever posting anything or asked any questions, I've just kind of creeped. But if I find myself needing anything answered I won't hesitate to ask! Thank you guys!

Back