After reading, it seems many skip secondary, however what if it says 6 weeks + time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burmjohn

Reaction score
After reading, it seems many skip secondary, however what if it says 6 weeks + time?

For example, checking out some of the extract kits on NB, if they say "Allow the beer to condition in the secondary fermenter for 2 months beforeproceeding with the next step. Timing now is somewhat flexible."

How long would you leave it in the primary before bottling?

secondary is for
1)adding any additional flavors
2)dry hopping
3)clarifying

many people on here would say you can leave it in the primary practically indeffinately, if sanitation was sufficient.

chekc the SG reading to see if you are close to the target.

Bottle or Keg?

Recipe?

Bottling and conditioning at 4 weeks would probably be preferable.

Extended primary makes the beer slightly more "bullion" flavored.....(Whatever TF that means) which some people like, some don't.

Bulk conditioning is better over months, and so a secondary for bulk aging is fine, but 6 weeks? Just bottle at 4 weeks and let it sit a month in the bottle. (I know that is longer than 6 weeks, but 2 weeks in the bottle is primary fermentation of priming sugar)

It sounds like the recipe is calling for bulk aging. In such a case, I would rack to a 5 gallon carboy, and free up my primary fermenter for the next batch. Just watch out for sanitation and oxidation.

But if you leave it in the primary, two months total is probably enough. Depends on your stamina - how long can you hold your breath?

Back