Corona Mill vs Barley Crusher for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

Reaction score
Ok want to get some opinions on this! My LHBS has adjusted their mill a couple times for me to accommodate my BIAB style of crush, but has had to many issues when adjusting and won't do it for me anymore. So I need to start milling my own grain. I like the price point of the Corona obviously but the barley crusher has its pluses as well! What would be the best option?

Ok want to get some opinions on this! My LHBS has adjusted their mill a couple times for me to accommodate my BIAB style of crush, but has had to many issues when adjusting and won't do it for me anymore. So I need to start milling my own grain. I like the price point of the Corona obviously but the barley crusher has its pluses as well! What would be the best option?

As a brewer who uses a corona, I would say get a barley crusher if you have the money. I get 80% efficiency with my corona, but it took a while to get it that way. I had to JB weld it together to get any type of consistency out of it. If I had the money, I would get a better mill.

I BIAB/No sparge and hit 79% efficiency at my first attempt with my Corona style mill. I prefer a finner crush as most BIABer do, but I really do not crush the grains to flour.

I think a BC or MM will be my choice if I would use the traditional way to brew, but for BIAB I like it...a lot.

I use a Corona style for BIAB and I do get quite a bit of flour, but it hasn't hurt a thing. Irish moss to clean up the wort, and crystal clear beers in the glass. Efficiencies up in the high 80s most of the time unless I mess up the mash temps.

I've used a Corona mill for 2 years and love it, but as soon as I can afford it, I'll get a BC

If you can afford the Barley Crusher get it. It is worth the price premium. I went from 70% efficiency with standard LHBS milling to almost 80% with customized crush with the Barley Crusher. It turns out that the smallest spacing was not best. About 75% on the dial actually worked best for me.

My .02:

BIAB'er here too, been using the corona for @ 3 years. Dialed in and rigged up as ugly junk I'm getting avg 80%. I just got the cereal killer, adjusted it to .036 and I'm getting 80% over last 3 brews. Only difference between the two at this point appears to be the price tag. I love the CK but for @ $20 I'd suggest getting the corona and spend the rest of your mill budget on ingedients.

I normally use my barley crusher but when I want the LHBS to crush my grain I just ask them to run it through their mill twice.

Thanks for the input everyone! I went ahead and ordered a Corona Mill last night! Ill post more on my results!

Back