American Barleywine AG - Water Into Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
huge
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
18.2 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week @ 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 month @ 70 F
Additional Fermentation
cold conditioning
Water Into Barleywine

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 19.00
Anticipated OG: 1.10628 Plato: 25.119
Anticipated SRM: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 95.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
52.6 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
21.1 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
13.2 2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.03400 2
7.9 1.50 lbs. Maple Syrup Generic 1.03100 35
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.03400 55
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.03300 90

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 74.3 60 min.
1.33 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 17.50

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 60

Just wondering BP what did your FG ended up being? After 4 days Im down to 1.022 and still chugging along. Also on the dry hop did you add it for the whole month or did you wait and add it two weeks before you transfered it. So far it looks like a great brew can't wait to try it.

Thanks

This took first in the first round of the AHA nationals southwest regionals and was the #1 ranked barley wine going into the finals. It didn't do squat after that but it is a fine brew.

Just had my first one, OMG it was amazing, just the perfect balance, just a slight alcohol bite. Im thinking this one is gonna be sent to a few competitions. Would this be an American Barley wine or an English?

Cool. The alcohol will cool down and the whole thing will get rounder with time. I entered it in American Barley Wine. Glad to hear your batch turned out well!

I tried a sample of mine, but I must have a leaky keg because it was flat. I haven't had a cold, carbonated one yet.

Last night, I moved my kegs and my CO2 bottle to my 3-Seasons room because the temps dropped into the 50's. My beer will finally be cold enough to drink!!!

This looks very interesting. Might have to try it for my next, although a easier-drinking house ale is in the works, too.

A couple of questions for you:
1) When do you add the maple syrup?
2) Is it a 60 or a 90 min. wort boil? Both are listed in the original post.

e lo said:
This looks very interesting. Might have to try it for my next, although a easier-drinking house ale is in the works, too.

A couple of questions for you:
1) When do you add the maple syrup?
2) Is it a 60 or a 90 min. wort boil? Both are listed in the original post.

Good questions.

I put the Maple in a flame out, and my boil in more along the lines of the 90 minute range, but it depends on your extraction rate, evaporation and those various factors.

Brewpastor et al., I've got a couple more newb type questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) You talk of the boil duration as though it's a plastic thing, and Ryanh1801, your post certainly seems to bear that out. How do you decide when you've boiled enough? When you hit a target gravity? When you've boiled down to a target volume? If the latter, do you calculate your target volume to hit a specific ... um ... specific gravity based on a gravity reading of your pre-boil wort? Sorry ... I guess this really isn't a question pertaining to this particular brew, but it's something I've been wondering about, and I'm a bit druck (just came from my weekly meeting of Ann Arbor's Thursday Bourbon Club,) so I figured I might as well ask. I've only done one all grain brew so far, and I'm excited to learn more about the process.

2) More specific to this brew: I'm thinking of doing a house/session ale first (probably something very similar to EdWort's Haus Pale), using either WLP001 or Safale US-05, and then pitching the Water-into-Barleywine onto the yeast cake from that. I have the capacity to make a starter up to about 1/2 gallon on my homemade stirplate, but it sure seems to me that moderately overpitching on a 5 gallon cake would be the way to go. Any thoughts?

I boiled down to volume, and ended up getting better efficiency than planed. Thing is to get all of the sugars out of the grain you need to sparge with lots of water. I think I had around 13-14 gallons pre-boil and in all reality I needed to sparge more. You can see where you are at pre boil by taking a sample and cooling it, then enter the numbers into Beersmith. I think pitching this on a yeast cake is a good idea, I had a huge starter for this beer.

13 - 14 gallons? You scaled this up to a 10 gallon batch, right?

Sorry, I know it's a dumb question. Just want to make sure I'm not missing the boat.

e lo said:
13 - 14 gallons? You scaled this up to a 10 gallon batch, right?

Sorry, I know it's a dumb question. Just want to make sure I'm not missing the boat.

Nope, 5 gallons. With that much grains you need about 10 gallons of sparge water.

I know there is a simple answer to this, but......

Can this be made with extract? I haven't yet stepped up to
up to the "full grain plate" so to speak. Although, I am in
desperate need for a Barley Wine recipe.

Extract? no not really. This is a HUGE beer and extract just isn't going to make anything that tastes good.

As for the rediculously long boil times, a fan aimed at the top of the kettle does wonders for reducing boil-down time. i find that my propane regulator needs to be turned WAY up to keep a boil going and a gallon can be boiled off in a matter of minutes. I haven't found the balls to step up to a barley wine yet.... but soon.

shafferpilot said:
Extract? no not really. This is a HUGE beer and extract just isn't going to make anything that tastes good.

:confused:
I would have to disagree, I have made great tasting barley wines with extract, partial mash and all-grain recipes. For a very simple 5 gallon extract version try 12 lbs pale liquid malt extract with 6 oz. galena hops. 90 minute boil with 4 oz at 60 minutes remaining, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes. Pitch your favorite American Ale yeast, primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 6-8 weeks.

shafferpilot said:
I haven't found the balls to step up to a barley wine yet.... but soon.

I don't think its appropriate to comment on something that you yourself have never done - all it does is discourage other people from trying something new or different which may very well work for them. After all, that's what homebrewing is all about - trying things out for yourself and pushing the envelope.

TheBCrew said:
:confused:
I would have to disagree, I have made great tasting barley wines with extract, partial mash and all-grain recipes. For a very simple 5 gallon extract version try 12 lbs pale liquid malt extract with 6 oz. galena hops. 90 minute boil with 4 oz at 60 minutes remaining, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes. Pitch your favorite American Ale yeast, primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 6-8 weeks.

I don't think its appropriate to comment on something that you yourself have never done - all it does is discourage other people from trying something new or different which may very well work for them. After all, that's what homebrewing is all about - trying things out for yourself and pushing the envelope.

I have to agree, I'm drinking my extract barley wine right now and (not to sound conceited) I'm loving it. I think it's one of the best beers I've ever had. Even before I started brewing I was a bit of a beer snob so this isn't coming form a swill drinker either, I know good beer. Not to mention it's only my second batch of beer and it hasn't even aged yet. To be honest I'm liking it so much that I doubt that I'm going to have any left to age. Sorry I don't mean to be a braggart I just wanted to reiterate that there are a lot of great extract barley wines out there, I'm drinking the proof as I type.

fair enough. my extract beers are fine... but i wouldn't call any of them great. Some of the AG beers I've done I would call great. I'm all for pushing the envelope with different ideas. So if barleywine is what you want and you only have the equipment for extract, go for it.

I got retarded low effeciency brewing this today. 1.070!! BP can you please post details on your process for this? I mashed in all the grains at 148 for 90 minutes with 5 gallons of water. Then sparged with 180 degree water (batch sparge). I'm a mega noob to AG and would like some more advise on your recipe. Thanks!

I got retarded low effeciency brewing this today. 1.070!! BP can you please post details on your process for this? I mashed in all the grains at 148 for 90 minutes with 5 gallons of water. Then sparged with 180 degree water (batch sparge). I'm a mega noob to AG and would like some more advise on your recipe. Thanks!

Did you just do one batch sparge?? You will need multiple batch sparges to rinse all sugars. Divide your total water needed into 2-3 equal sparges.

I have a similiar version brewin now... I replaced the maple sugar with wildflower honey and removed a little of the 80L to lighten it up a bit. Boiling now... I went with 1.5oz Chinook leaf @ 120min, 1oz Centennial pellet @ 45min, 2oz Amarillo leaf @ 10min, 2oz Cascade pellet @ 0min. We'll see!

Probably a stupid question, but how are you guys accounting for the 1.5 lbs of maple syrup? I'm sure I can get a rough conversion if I google it, but about how many fluid ounces does that come out to?

edit: Found somewhere that said a cup of syrup is ~11 oz. This sound reasonable?

The recipe calls for Crystal 55L Great Britain and Crystal 90L America. Those 2 items are not listed in Beersmith.

Crystal 80L US is listed. Can I use that?

Also what would be a substitute for the Crystal 55L UK?

Thanks.

Man! I pitched onto a US-05 cake from a smaller blonde and it finished out at 1.012!

I did miss my OG (1.086ish) by a decent margin, but the sample tastes fantastic after only 2 weeks! The bitterness was surprisingly smooth and there's just a hint of maple syrup lingering in the background to add some complexity. Man this stuff is honestly drinkable as is! It's going to be hard to keep my grubby paws off this!

I just brewed this up in anticipation of the 2010 Holiday season.

First time ever brewing a beer this big - but seems everything went well. I hit 1.100 OG & oxygenated the bejeezus out of it. Added some old yeast to the boil as nutrient. Did a 90 minute boil & threw in the first hops at 60 mins.

Cross fingers & collect some sparkling cider bottles.....

I brewed this last February, before the birth of my daughter, with the idea that I would enjoy some on her first birthday. I had my first taste of it last night when I opened the keg to dry hop it. It is simply sublime! I used the same grain bill and adjusted the hops to what I had on hand, Magnum for bittering and Amarillo the rest of the way. Thanks BP for the wonderful recipe:rockin: This is a very tasty American barleywine!

orange, change your name to orangedoo. That is more accurate, lol.
Looking forward to tasting it too! :mug:

Looks like my brew queue just got longer.

I was wondering for people who brewed this...how much sparge water and how many batches did you do for each? I do not want to do a 8 hr boil as one poster did. BS is giving me about 5 gal mash and about 4 gal for sparge.

I was wondering why the IBU's for your Chinook on the first page of thread read only contributing 74 ibu's.

I ran it with 2 oz of 13 pellet Chinook and got 106 IBU's total That is a 32 IBU difference - pretty big for the same hop.

This is putting my BU:GU around 1.34. Wondering if I should cut it down to keep the good balance that this recipe seems to have but I would like to find the source of the discrepancy.

I like balance

I'm going to brew this up this week. I've got to put my yeast starter on tonight and I think I'll brew Thursday. The one thing that I'm going to change in the recipe is I'm going to use Breiss Extra Special instead of 90L. I'm hoping it will give it even more of a kick. It might backfire on me considering the 4 lbs of Munich!!! I'll post the details starting thursday and I'll keep it updated. Happy brewing all!

Back