Gotta watch that WLP400, it's a sneaky one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Pitched a 1L starter onto a Wit one week ago. Fermenting at 68. After 4 hours I had signs of fermentation. The next morning I had a nice two inch krausen. Day 3 in turned into a three inch krausen.

Fast forward to today and I'm putting a blow off on it because I have six-seven inches of krausen.

Searched around and this seems to be pretty normal with this yeast. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. The Cent. Blonde with US05 next to it is behaving totally different.

Hehe, I had a very similar experience. Almost no activity for 48 hours, then got up the next morning and he yeast had blown through the airlock and fermentation was essentially complete (only dropped 0.001 more). Also looks strange because it is a true top cropping yeast, and there was a ton of yeast/low krausen when I bottled after three weeks.b But, turned out to be one of my best beers ever, and I'm not even a big witbier fan!

I've had WLP400 finish up with three inches of krausen still sitting on top. I snuck in for a gravity reading and was at my anticipated FG, so I racked it. Within minutes the krausen had collapsed.

Just because you see a krausen with WLP400 doesn't mean it's not done...

Back