American IPA Hoppy Burstday or Hop Heaven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmeister13

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 001
Yeast Starter
Yes, .82L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
64F until done and dry hopped
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Massive perfume, fruit with some pine mixed in.
Brewed this one for my 13th batch (3rd all grain) for my 30th birthday on 9/13.

This recipe took 2nd in best of show at a small local competition (about 50 beers entered).

13 lbs 13 oz Domestic 2-Row (Great Western)
9 oz Cara-Pils
4 oz Briess Crystal 60L
2 oz Acid Malt

1 oz Simcoe (13.2 AA) FWH
1 Whirlfloc 15min
1 oz Cascade (7.1 AA) 15 min
1 oz Centennial (9.7 AA) 15 min
1 oz Simcoe 15 min
.5 g rehydrated Super Moss HB 10 min
.5 oz Cascade FO
.5 oz Centennial FO
.5 oz Simcoe FO
1 oz Cascade FO after dropping to 143F
1 oz Centennial FO after dropping to 143F
1 oz Simcoe FO after dropping to 143 F

1 oz Cascade DH 10 days
1 oz Centennial DH 10 days
1 oz Simcoe DH 10 days
.5 oz Cascade DH 6 days
.5 oz Centennial DH 6 days
.5 oz Simcoe DH 6 days
1 oz Simcoe DH 4 days

WLP 001

All hops are pellets except the 10 day DH batch, which were whole leaf (I would do all pellets next time).

There are two flameout additions. The first was added right at flameout, with recirculation running for 15 minutes. The second one I kicked the Chiller on to drop the temp to 143F and added at that point and let steep for another 30 minutes.

The fermentation is a bit of a pain and probably could be simplified, but here is what I did. Primary fermentation took place at 64 degrees. When the gravity was 1.012 (about 7 days) I cold crashed the temp to 34F (this causes the yeast to excrete esters into the wort, or at least so I've read) and held for 3 days. I then raised the temp to 68F and allowed it to free rise. Once there (about a day) I began dry hopping. I added the 1 oz of each hop to the primary. After 4 days I added .5 oz of each hop to the primary. After 2 days I added 1 more ounce of Simcoe. 2 days later I cold crashed again to encourage the hops to settle. After 2 days of crashing it was bottled to 2.4 vol.

This was brewed on 9/6. Bottled on 9/26 and in a comp on 11/13. The flavor changes very quickly on this brew, so drink it fast, but the effort is well worth it. Next time I would add some hops at the 30 minute mark and maybe a small about of a bittering hop at 60 to round this one out and add a touch more depth.:mug:

Back