Beginner Brewing. Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shovell

Reaction score
Okay, I am new to home brewing and I recently bought a new beginner kit and I decided to go with an Irish Stout beer. I am having difficulties with the recipe instructions. The kit came with Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout extract and DARK Dried Malt Extract. The question I have is when do I put the DARK Dried Malt Extract? Any help would be appreciated.:mug:

seams like many people add some of the extract in the begining of the boil and then the rest at about 20 min?

seams like many people add some of the extract in the begining of the boil and then the rest at about 20 min?

This is what I do. It takes a while to get all of the extract to dissolve so I wait until about the last 15 minutes to put it in. With a stout, darkening the wort is less of a concern than with other styles. But you may want to have about half in the boil. You could try adding all of the extract at the end and working with a hop tea until then, but I've never done this.

You can add it all up front if you want. Many people split up the extract additions because you can get better hop utilization with a lower gravity wort but for a irish stout that isn't really going to be a concern.

Adding it up front may give you more caramelized flavors versus adding it towards the end. Probably not a lot. DME is messy stuff; the steam coming off the pot is more than enough to make the whole bag a sticky, chunky mess of doughballs that you have to smash against the side of the pot to mix in. It may help you to mix the DME with cold water until it's vaguely pourable and then add this to the boiling pot. You picked the perfect style of beer to start with; stouts are very forgiving.

Back