clear bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
not really a wine drinker, but have been starting to sample.
i am going to be brewing some different wines and am collecting bottles for future endeavors i just got a case of Cavit Pinot Gregio bottles 1.5L
my question is what to put in them and what not to?

i searched and couldnt find anything on bottle color..

actually interested in what color bottles for what wine all around also.

If you store your wine appropriately (in a dark cellar, for example), the color of bottle isn't very important. A 1.5L bottle is a huge bottle, though! Wine oxidizes very fast, so if you open a bottle you generally want to finish it within a couple of hours. It'll be a much different wine the next day.

hmm guess i will save one or two for blow offs.

is there a problem bottling both red and white in green bottles?

No, green bottles are just fine. Traditionally white wines are in clear, and red in colored glass, but there really isn't a reason for clear bottles anyway. In my opinion, even white wines should be protected from light. As another poster mentioned, wines can get light struck.

I do have a few bottles of wine in clear, but I put brown paper from a grocery bag around it-- I have been saving all my blue glass bottles(Leelanau Cellars Winter White:rockin:) from my favorite wine and will be using them to bottle my meads when they get done bulk aging. (knock on wood!:D)
But it is nice to know that even whites should be in colored bottles.

Me too. I use whatever I can get my hands on, and I've yet to have a problem.

On a side note, wineries that give out samples are a great place to get your hands on cases of free bottles. In most states, they can't legally reuse the bottles once they've used them. I have never been turned down when I ask for bottles. Can usually get 1-4 cases per winery. Never been asked to pay either. (But I do tip the server well)

On a side note, wineries that give out samples are a great place to get your hands on cases of free bottles. In most states, they can't legally reuse the bottles once they've used them. I have never been turned down when I ask for bottles. Can usually get 1-4 cases per winery. Never been asked to pay either. (But I do tip the server well)

Thanks for the tip!

Green bottles do not block out as much light as many people may think it does. It makes a nice package for reds, as do clear bottles make a nice package for whites and blushes. The only effective light-blocking bottles are the amber colored bottles, and they certainly can not claim to be attractive.
I say bottle your wine in whatever color you choose and protect them accordingly.
Bill

Back