Sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecgibson

Reaction score
So, I put my beer all into growlers last night for the last part of the process. Now, I am worried I didnt put enough sugar and I dont want flat beer. Is it possible, since it has only been in the growlers for a day to reopen them, boil some sugar, and put a little more in? I know you dont want too much carbonation in order to avoid a beer bomb but I dont want my whole batch ending up flat. Thanks!

Boy, I wouldn't. Bottling in growlers is pretty dangerous as it is, as they aren't designed to hold pressure for carbonating. More than a few pictures have been posted on this forum of growlers blowing up. They are meant to only store already carbonated beers, short term.

I'd use soda bottles for bottling if I didn't have enough beer bottles or caps.

Yooper is spot on, in fact growlers are meant for already carbonated beer, they are not made for the pressures associated with carbonating beer! There are threads on this site regarding exploding growlers. IMO you place them in a closed Rubbermaid container and hope for the best!

Latest posts

Back