Belgian IPA similar to Le Freak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjorge3442

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to start my next brew and i wanna do something different from what I've been brewing (brown ales, porters,stouts). I wanna brew something like Le Freak from green flash, but I have no idea where to start on a recipe. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I guess I had wrong impression of yeast. I thought that if you started with one yeast and added one later that the second one wouldn't survive because the first would out number and starve it off. So how is he using two different yeast strands? Is he killing one off before starting he next?

Guess I need some education on yeast.

From the description on their website it sounds like a tripple that is hopped like an IPA. They don't give any clues other then ABV at 9.2% and the IBUs at 101. While I can't help you with the hops if you start with a simple grist bill. Some thing like this:

16.5# Great Western 2 Row
1# Wheat malt
1.5# Table sugar

Mash at 148 for 90 min

I would do a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS

I would bet that WLP570 fermented around 68 deg

The table sugar will give you the dryness that they describe

Well it doesn't have to be the Le Freak. I just want something similar to that or the Lagunitas Lil Wild Sumptin.

I'm a huge fan of Belgian IPAs made with Saison yeast. I think the saison flavors really mesh well with american hops- try WY3711 or WLP585. Stick to a standard IPA recipe, maybe use pils as your base malt, and go big with citrusy american hops. You won't be disappointed!

I was just going by their description of it being a tripple malt base. I figured that they would use 2 Row lager malt vs Belgian Pils because it is an American brewery. If you sub in Belgian pils into that grist bill and added 30 IBUs of Saaz or Styrian Goldings that is a pretty good tripple

The article TNGabe linked to says it's the same mash as West Coast IPA, although the hop varieties, IBUs and ABV match up perfectly with their Imperial IPA. If you started with the West Coast Mash https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-green-flash-west-coast-ipa-175363/ and added about 1.5lbs of sugar, you would be off to a good start.

How much Summit and Nugget you'd need and when you'd need it, I have no clue. Summit is reputedly tangerine-esque, and Nugget more herbal, if that helps any. Getting 100 IBUs out of these varieties is not so hard. As for the yeast, they use WLP001 after fermenting 1 day with a Belgian (lots of possible options here). I'd skip the 001 and use WLP550 all by itself, but you could go a lot of different directions here.

Well it doesn't have to be the Le Freak. I just want something similar to that or the Lagunitas Lil Wild Sumptin.

If you want Sumptin Wild, start with the CYBI recipe for Lil Sumptin Sumptin(it's posted here at HBT if you don't want to listen to it) and bump up the malt a bit. You may want to add a little crystal in the process since I seem to remember the Wild was a bit darker than the original. I could be wrong about that. Maybe back off on some of the dry hopping but add a bit more to the boil. Ferment with Wlp 510 or WLP 530 for a first try.

I haven't tried this yet myself but it's where I'd start. I have brewed the Lil Sumptin Sumptin recipe and it was spot on.

Back