My $30 Craigslist Freezer - A Love Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatfatbastard

Reaction score
Hey folks. Yesterday I picked up a freezer off of Craigslist. Pictures and a story can be found here.

I intend to build a keezer with this. I think it will be awesome. I intend to document the build process here and over at reddit.

If you have any questions/comments/helpful recommendations then please let me hear them.

Here is a quick shot of the freezer:

DSC00811.jpg

I just got a chest freezer off Cl for 30 bucks two days ago......weird.

Actually its just the gray of the freezer. But new idea thanks haha

Looking good bud. You gonna paint it? Also what controls are you planning on using

I do intend to paint it, probably black. My wife is enamored with the idea of chalkboard paint, but I don't know if I want to use that.

I was thinking of using one of the STC-1000, but I also kind of wanted to be able to finish it before Labor Day. We're having a pig pickin' and I wanted to be able to use it for that.

thatfatbastard said:
I do intend to paint it, probably black. My wife is enamored with the idea of chalkboard paint, but I don't know if I want to use that.

I was thinking of using one of the STC-1000, but I also kind of wanted to be able to finish it before Labor Day. We're having a pig pickin' and I wanted to be able to use it for that.

image-2742572760.jpg

Here's a pic of the one I built. I had a local sign shop make up a vinyl wrap instead of paint. Came out great, keeps my brew at 36-38 degrees, & took about half a day to make. will hold 3 half-barrel size kegs (I have 2 tapped & 1 in reserve. NEVER wanna run out!) Enjoy!

Just made a trip to Lowes to pick up some wood, weather stripping, paint and stain. My son has a football game this afternoon though, so I probably won't be getting much done today.

Awesome im using the chalkboard paint. I like the idea of being able to make my notes on it.

Yea it takes a while to get the sct. The only place i could find one on ebay is taking 10 days to get here. Im at a standstill because i need to wire my control box and im going to recess the gang box for a nice clean look.

The chalkboard paint only really looks nice the first.time you use it. After that it's really hard to get the old chalk off.

I think I'm going to go with the Johnson Controls analog thermostat, simply because it would take too long to get the STC here.

Oh yea i know but i still like the idea. Plus its cheap and being the smallest chest freezer wouldn't cost me to repaint it if needed.

Im just a geek haha i like tge digital

I would like the digital too, I'm just under a time crunch right now.

I really, really want this thing to be operational with picnic faucets by Labor Day weekend. I will work on getting the other stuff done after that.

Wow, just had a discussion with my (non beer drinking) wife. I asked for her input on where I should place the shanks in the collar (I suck at design). After we talked about that she said "You know, when this is done you can put it in the kitchen if you want." Earlier I had been joking with her about putting it in the living room (less walking and all), I was sure it was going to be stuck in the basement.

The freezer will hold ten kegs, soooooo... I'm going to plan for ten taps :rockin:

My plan is to go ahead and drill the collar for ten and then install shanks as I can and plug up the remaining holes until I need them. I don't want to have to take the collar off to add holes once it's assembled.

Although a different plan may be coming together, a tower oriented plan. Time (and price) will tell. In the meantime, I will continue work on the collar.

Mine holds 14 + two 3gallon kegs on the hump no collar coffin went with 12 taps gives two sitting on co2 cold in reserve in case something kicks when people are over, just saying only thing worst then empty fermenter is an empty keg/ tap....:cross:

Mine holds 14 + two 3gallon kegs on the hump no collar coffin went with 12 taps gives two sitting on co2 cold in reserve in case something kicks when people are over, just saying only thing worst then empty fermenter is an empty keg/ tap....:cross:

Man, that's a lot of beer. Party at your place :mug:

Any updates?

I found your thread yesterday, I was going to ask you the same thing.

No, I haven't done anything really. Yesterday we had "sneak peek" at my kids elementary school and then football practice yesterday evening. Today I have a "casual lunch" with a hiring manager I interviewed with on Friday.

I did speak with Todd over at Keggconnection.com yesterday about some stuff and I think they are going to be able to hook me up with the things I need to at least be operational with by Labor Day weekend. They were having some phone line/internet issues though and I need to call him back this morning.

I also ordered 20 tap handle inserts from McMaster Carr. They came out to be $20 with shipping. Not bad, I don't think at a buck a piece. Now I'll be able to make my own tap handles as well.

I could have done more yesterday, but I really wasn't relishing the thought of sanding the sides of this thing. I need to just push through and get it done.

Oh, I also found out that because of the collar I can actually fit two more kegs in there on the hump.

haha yea i kinda of left my thread to die and piggyback on yours i just got off work i have rotating 4 days on 4 days off so not much going on with my work days. But now its my saturday. I need to order the kegging supplies and am still waiting for my temp controller and fan to get here. im gonna cut up the insulation for the collar today and glue it on. cut the hole for the gangbox to recess into and fit more insulation to cover the gangbox. so its a slow process but its ok im kinda of fitting this in between new house projects like a 12 X 12 shed/brewhouse.

Update: ordered my kegging gear getting a couple cornies for free and am now cutting all my holes and getting my insulation ready.

**New Pictures**

So... Let me bring you up to speed.

I had sanded the lid and got it fitting in to the collar when we left off.

Today, I taped up the lid and shot it with some Rustoleum appliance paint. It looked pretty good after one coat, but after the second coat you can definitely tell that it came out of a spray can. Not that it looks horrible, but the overspray is a dead giveaway.

On to better news. Earlier this week I spoke with Todd at Kegconnection.com and ordered some of the pieces that I will need to have the keezer up and operational (but not complete) by next weekend. So tomorrow I should have a new regulator, thermostat and three sets of disconnects. For the party we are throwing I am just going to be using cobra taps, I may not even put the collar on for next weekend.

Also, yesterday I received a package from McMaster Carr with 20 tap handle inserts and a package from Amazon with my dehumidifier. Things are coming together.

I have two beers in primary right now, and they should be finished fermenting in the next day or so. I will be dry hopping one and letting the other be. I will probably only dry hop for 4 or 5 days, so that I have plenty of time for the kegs to force carb. I'm hoping that the beers don't taste too green. This is the quickest I've turned a batch. I usually let them sit in primary for 3 or 4 weeks. These will only be a week and a half or so.
iCdPAh.jpg

hzFuyh.jpg

Looks good man. Im painting mine today. I had to rip off the insulation under the lid to get it to fit with the new insualtion on the collar. But thats ok i hit it stainless looking spray paint matches the foil look on the new insulation

**New Pictures**

. For the party we are throwing I am just going to be using cobra taps, I may not even put the collar on for next weekend.

Sure this works fine...just toss a blanket or sleeping bag over the top of the keezer when you are chilling the kegs a few days in advance of the party, once cold they will stay cold, but plan ahead...it takes a while to chill large volumes...IME days not hours.

Looks good man. Im painting mine today. I had to rip off the insulation under the lid to get it to fit with the new insualtion on the collar. But thats ok i hit it stainless looking spray paint matches the foil look on the new insulation

Cool, I hope you have better luck than I did. I definitely looks better than it did, but not necessarily as good as it could. Below is what the chrome looks like with the tape off.

I think what I might do is either pick up a quart of paint and use my spray gun or repaint it with the chalkboard paint. Either way I am going to wait until after next weekend to do that.

Or hell, who knows, I might just leave it the way it is.

If the weather is good tomorrow, and it is supposed to be, I'm going to paint the chest.

ORN3v.jpg

Sure this works fine...just toss a blanket or sleeping bag over the top of the keezer when you are chilling the kegs a few days in advance of the party, once cold they will stay cold, but plan ahead...it takes a while to chill large volumes...IME days not hours.

I hope to get it starting to cool this weekend.

thatfatbastard said:
Cool, I hope you have better luck than I did. I definitely looks better than it did, but not necessarily as good as it could. Below is what the chrome looks like with the tape off.

I think what I might do is either pick up a quart of paint and use my spray gun or repaint it with the chalkboard paint. Either way I am going to wait until after next weekend to do that.

Or hell, who knows, I might just leave it the way it is.

If the weather is good tomorrow, and it is supposed to be, I'm going to paint the chest.

Haha i just put the primer down waiting to dry before hitting with chalkboard. I was trying to tape off the edges and seams make it look nice but the satisfaction said eff it i like it all black haha so i just primed the whole thing

Dude! Spray cans can and do work if you make a couple of adjustments. (I am new to brewing but been restoring old card for years!) If your surface ain't slick, the paint wont be no matter what you do to it. Take the time to get all the dents out (or fill them in). Use a good epoxy primer if you can. Most importantly (and this may salvage your current project) you have to put several coats on, color sand with a really super-fine grit (800 or more) then recoat and use an even finer sandpaper or even use a buffer and a extra fine compound. The trick is to build up enough coats to be able to sand without penetrating the finish down to the surface. A nice clearcoat also helps. The problem with spray cans is that the spray is somewhat inconsistent, so you have to build it up enough to level it out. Ya want 1st class, ya gotta spend the time! Most freezers have a rough, veined finish. That's why I went with the vinyl wrap over stock white. I had a UV laminate added to it for about an extra $50 to protect against the sun and weather (my kegger is on the covered deck next to the pool) and it works like a dream. Good luck and, more importantly, HAVE FUN!

Ya just HAD to do it, didn't ya! Now I'm already thinking about changin my 2 into a bar-like array with about a dozen or s omhome brews.....my wife's gonna hate you.......LOL

Back