Spilled half the vial of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
This past Saturday I brewed a stout using WLP004 (Irish Ale Yeast). On Friday I was preparing to make a starter with the yeast and when I opened the vial about half of it sprayed out all over the place like what happens when you shake up a beer and open it. I put the rest of the vial in the starter (1/2 cup DME boiled in 2 cups of water for 20 min) and put it on my stir plate. It had a good amount of bubbles on it by Saturday afternoon so I pitched it in the wort and stuck it in my ferm chamber. Do you think there was enough yeast in the starter to complete fermentation? And is this something I should expect from all yeast in a vial (the spraying all over the place) and be more careful about shaking it prior to opening the vial?

Thanks.

do you really think it was half?

what was your OG and ferm temp?

do you really think it was half?

what was your OG and ferm temp?

It was quite a bit, but I don't know exactly how much.

OG was 1.045 and ferm temp is 68 in the chamber.

I checked on it about 8 hours after pitching and it was bubbling in the air lock. After reading about blowouts I took the air lock off and put a blow off tube in (this would have been about 24 hours after pitching). After I did that it never did bubble again.

If you believe it was around half than I would think you want to make double the size starter. Just step it up and you'll be fine.

LOL

Had the same thing happen to me last week with the same yeast.
You should be fine if it was a lower gravity brew.

Back