Do I need hose clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am kegging parts around for my keezer and I have a question about hose clamps. If I am using 3/16" beer line on 1/4" nipples, do I really need to use hose clamps?

Do you want to find out you did, when you didn't use them? With a pressurized line you never know. My opinion yes you need them.:D

Do you want to find out you did, when you didn't use them? With a pressurized line you never know. My opinion yes you need them.:D

+5 A leaky beer line in a freezer can be disastrous. You could find an entir keg emptied into the freezer, kegerator, fridge or whatever. The freezer would probably contain the mess, but the others won't. Losing all that beer and having to clean up the mess would not be fun.

I had a beer line freeze and push itself off of the barb. I was lucky as the frozen line also blocked most of the leak. There are more than a few connections and fittings that all need to seal completely including the QD's, tap tail piece barbs, the keg posts (these are frequently overlooked when trying to determine source of a leak), flare nuts and poppets.

So, the bottom line is yes, clamps of some kind are a good idea and should be used. I should take my own advice though, as not all of mine are clamped.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really kegging my parts, that was a little typo. I figured I would need clamps, just needed some reassurance.

Ah hell, those lines go on pretty tight and clamps are probably not needed, let us know how you make out. "do ya feel lucky kid?"

ps: I use clamps!

Back