Upright freezer conversion...any links?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huckdog

Reaction score
I've got my upright freezer and have been searching for a couple of detailed projects to get some ideas.

Can anyone post a couple of links that are upright freezer conversions?

Thanks in advance!

Seems to be just what I needed...thanks!

Any others?

ETA: upon further review...perhaps a more descriptive request.

I am looking to convert to a keezer. I have room to keep the CO2 inside but, if I decide I need more room, I am looking for some guidance on where not to drill to get the gas line in.

Also looking for some inspiration on exterior design. I've seen a ton of it on this site but there may be a few more that could help.

This was supposed to be my 2008 project but has been pushed back to early 2009. Have to build the bar first!

Well I'm getting sick and tired of sharing my chest freezer between kegs and fermenting beer so I plan on building this!

http://www.koolkeg.com/pages/Homebrew Models/other_homebrew_pictures.htm

DSC00001.jpg
DSC00028.jpg

And it looks to be based off of this local freezer less fridge.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=180051-2251-FRU17B2JW&lpage=none

10 taps of goodness! While the kegs in the picture may look smaller than 5gallon, I have been reassured they are indeed 5gallon cornys.

And you mentioned exterior design ideas.

DSC2.jpg

DDS4.jpg

The tricky part is, are the interior shelves 'fixed' in place? Cuz if so, they have coolant lines running through them...and that'll pose a problem.

thanks harv...I haven't seen those. adds a bit of style.

No coolant lines in the shelves. The shelves in the door have been removed and replaced with the nice white wall board that I have seen used.

Only problem now is I'd like a better seal around the door. Now that the wall board is in place I see light coming out. Not much. But, any tips on expanding the seal? Trim of some sort or don't worry about it?

Given my limited carpentry skills, I am proud to say that I was able to cut the board to the same size and was able to drill holes well enough, using the shelf liner as a guide, to even get all of my screws to line up close and put back in.

A well placed bottle cap screwed into place gives the extra distance needed to press the plunger and make the light go off at the bottom of the door.

Before I put on the bottle cap I was able to see just a bit of light around the seal.

Should I just not worry about this or is it worth the effort to add some thickness under the door seal or possibly on the freezer itself where the seal meets?

Thanks for the help.

Back