too short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonster

Reaction score
This last Sunday night I tried the brew in a bag method.
6lbs 2-row
.5 Munich
.5 crystal 40

2oz simcoe
3-3.5 gallon batch

San Diego ale yeast by WL.

Wednesday I racked to a secondary b.c the the head was starting to decrease and was almost gone, the airlock was pretty slow. Wondering if I should bottle it now or give it a few more days? Is it possible for it to be finished so soon?

Do you think it would matter if I used a whole vial of yeast in a smaller batch? More yeast eating less sugar?

BrewMonster said:
Do you think it would matter if I used a whole vial of yeast in a smaller batch? More yeast eating less sugar?

That's definitely a factor. A batch that small with that amount of yeast may be the equivalent of using a huge starter. I wouldn't worry

It is recommended that you always take SG readings to determine the state of the fermentation and not rely on appearance or airlock activity. I do not rack to secondary and usually wait about 12 days then take a reading. If I get the same reading on day 14 then I might bottle but never before. Give the yeast a bit of extra time to work their magic and you will get a better and clearer beer.
Patience is a virtue - especially in brewing.

Back