Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakebeer

Reaction score
Brewed a Russian Imperial Stout using a NB extract kit. Tastes great but has the carbonation of a Belgian Golden. Was in secondary at least 3 mos. Intentionally went with less than the 5/8 ths cup of sugar but my bottles are more effervescent than those guys in the "More Beans?" scene in Blazing Saddles.

Help. Would longer in secondary have helped or should I REALLY cut the sugar for bottle conditioning. Thanks.

It's over carbonated or under? Imperials take a long time to finish fermenting. Did the gravity readings go down and level constantly?

I think it's way over carbonated. My reference point is the Stone Russian Imperial. Very low carbonation. Mine generates a huge head and seems a lot more bubbly than I think is right.

if you are over carbonated, and you reached the expected FG, then IMO the only solution is to cut out some of the priming sugar

Thanks. I suspect that's it. I never feel like the hydrometer is all that accurate, but it was steady, perhaps it could have declined more... But... I guess I'll just open them early for now!

Refrigerate them for a week. Then, put them in the freezer for 30 minutes before drinking. It will help tremendously. I just got done with a batch similar to that.

Very cool. Thanks. Took one out of the reefer that I had ther for a while just now and it was better - good to know that's not random chance. Thinking about storing the balance of the bottles in the fridge... If cooling can "cure" it probably makes sense to wait...

Put it in the back of the closet and forget about it for a while. I have read that sometimes under carbonated beers give the impression they are over carbonated because the CO hasn't dissolved into the beer yet.

Back