Boiling Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I've read a bunch of threads on this, but just think I need one last confidence boost.

I'm bottling my first batch tomorrow. It seems that most people boil the sugar + water solution for 5-15 minutes. I've seen a few posts, however, where people just boil the water - remove from heat - then add sugar - then prime. I've also seen some posts mentioning potential off flavors from boiling the sugar (carmelizing, scorching, etc.)

So I'm planning to go with the majority - and boil the sugar, but wanted one last bit of advice from the forum. Is that what I should do? If so, do I need to be worried about off flavors from boiling sugar for up to 15 minutes.

??????

Off flavors from boiling your sugar water???

Relax you are being uber paranoid. You won't get off flavors from boiling sugar water.

The purpose of boiling the sugar solution is to sanitize it...but it won't affect the flavor fo your beer.

Since you are bottling tomorrow, you might find this thread helpful.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

5 minutes is plenty if you're using any water that you would drink. Most of the time I don't even actually let it boil it that long, but it's above 165* long enough anyway. I normally use a cup and a half or so of water, no need to be too exact there but the right amount of priming sugar is important.

So 165F is the magic temp for pasteurization? How long does it have to stay at that temp? Just 2 minutes?

I'm intrigued by dissolving the priming sugar in the fermented liquid rather then water before priming. I am going to bottle a batch next weekend and will probably try this.

Are there any other comments?

I'm intrigued by dissolving the priming sugar in the fermented liquid rather then water before priming. I am going to bottle a batch next weekend and will probably try this.

Are there any other comments?

I will defintely try this when I bottle in 2 weeks.

Don't stress out, home brewing is supposed to be relaxing. ;)

My priming solution consists of 2 cups of water and 1 cup of corn sugar tossed in the microwave for 3 minutes. I've made close to 50 batches using this combo with no problems.

Tom

I only heat the water to boiling just so the sugar will dissolve readily. Once it's heated I dump it right into the bottling bucket.

??????

Off flavors from boiling your sugar water???

Relax you are being uber paranoid. You won't get off flavors from boiling sugar water.

The purpose of boiling the sugar solution is to sanitize it...but it won't affect the flavor fo your beer.

I am not 100% convinced of this. My first 8 batches have all had a bad off flavor (see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/8-batches-i-still-cant-shake-off-flavor-104841/) and this is one of my few possible remaining causes. I have been boiling the snot out of my sugar water for 10-15 minutes to the point the water turnes slightly caramel colored. I'm afraid I may have been caramelizing the sugar or causing malliard reaction. Anyway I have an experiment in bottles right now where I primed it about 5+ different ways. I'll know for sure in about a week or so. Oh and I have tried to RDWHAHB, it didn't work - so I'm going the paranoia route.

i just bottled a cider, and had a major brain fart and just dumped the priming sugar(no boil) right into my bottling bucket. i checked my bottles this morning and can see a little bit of yeast settling on the bottom of bottle. is this a sign of carbing? either way i'm not worried i'm gonna wait another week pop a top and if theres no sign at all of carbonation i will just drop some carb tabs in there. what do you guys think??

i just bottled a cider, and had a major brain fart and just dumped the priming sugar(no boil) right into my bottling bucket. i checked my bottles this morning and can see a little bit of yeast settling on the bottom of bottle. is this a sign of carbing? either way i'm not worried i'm gonna wait another week pop a top and if theres no sign at all of carbonation i will just drop some carb tabs in there. what do you guys think??

I think you'll be fine. I originally learned to brew from a friend of a friend who I now recognize was also a n00b, and we brewed a dozen batches before ever reading a book or anything. We always just dumped the priming sugar in dry and it worked adequately. Got some bottle bombs once, but that's about it. We also never sanitized anything, never used the hydrometer, always pitched liquid yeast from the vial, fermented way too hot, etc. etc.

It'll be fine.

When I prime my 5 liter kegs I just dump in 1 TBS dry...never had a problem...;)

Back