Newbie here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewtouron

Reaction score
I've made wine for years. I'm not an expert, but can turn out a good wine in my opinion. I've been brewing Mr. Beer kits for about a year. Today I started my first "real" batch of beer tonight. I'm looking for any good pointers or some great links on this site that can help me brew some good beer. I'm nervous I'm going to mess something up. I can make wine very easy now, but am very inexperienced in beer. Thanks for the help

Have you read John Palmer's How to brew yet? If not, it should be the first thing you do.

Greatest book for beginners.

Then I'd suggest you to move up to Ray Daniel's Designing great beers, which is a more advanced reading.

Here's a handy link to have

You'll get a lot of great info from it although some of it is a little outdated. Keeping your batch in primary and not bothering with secondary is one of the aspects where thinking has changed over the last few years. But anyway, you can't beat John Palmer's knowledge being available for free on the net :rockin: The hard copy will afford you more uptodate info, should you require.:mug:

Here's a handy link to have

You'll get a lot of great info from it although some of it is a little outdated. Keeping your batch in primary and not bothering with secondary is one of the aspects where thinking has changed over the last few years. But anyway, you can't beat John Palmer's knowledge being available for free on the net :rockin: The hard copy will afford you more uptodate info, should you require.:mug:

I personally think you should completely avoid the website and go directly for the book. The amount of infos you get from the book that's not on the website is huge.

It's a good investment, believe me.

Definitely get the book. I bought a "used" copy online shipped for my door for about 8 bucks.

used copies have the same amount of words as the new copies!!

I would just read a chapter or so every day on my lunch break at work. Ive been brewing a few months and just converted to all grain and try to just learn something new everyday either by reading in the book or looking on here.

My biggest piece of advice as a new (beer) brewer is just to relax and enjoy it. start simple with a simple extract kit and try to pick up a new process with each brew. you'll do something every brew that you think is going to screw up the batch but it ends up being tasty regardless. try to get better and more efficient every batch and you'll be fine.

Thanks. I ordered the book today. I have 5 gallons of a Blue Moon close bubbling now with the help of my local home brew store. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I just bottled my Blue Moon clone last weekend.
I am sure yours will be a winner.

Back