Overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
I have brewed exactly zero beers.

But me and three friends are really excited to give this a shot and take on the adventure.

So we all chipped in money and because of that we are able to get more/better setup then we would normally afford if doing it solo.

So anyways we have a Keggle - and are going to be buying a wort chiller from Northern.

I am wondering - since we are newbs and will be doing 5 gal extract kits for a while as we get our feet wet, is having a keggle and a wort chiller overkill? Are we damaging our learning process by jumping ahead?

Also will these standard wort chillers work ok with keggles? I am afraid of spending the money only to find that it doesn't reach out of the keggle properly. I could probably make my own but figure just buying one would be quicker/easier.

The keggle will work fine with 5 gal extract batches. You will need a burner of some sort to work with it; I can't imagine using that on a stove top.

If you are getting a keggle, I'd suggest a CFC or plate chiller over an immersion chiller.

Yeah I should have mentioned I have a good turkey fryer ready to go.

Wort chillers are made with small diameter tubing and are easily twisted into whatever shape & size needed.

If you are planning full boils, I wouldn't be without a chiller.

Back