New to wine making have some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaccusIsWine

Reaction score
Hi Im new to all this and just had some questions about using Oregon fruit puree to make wine.

I have recipe for a blackberry wine I want to make and would like to substitute the fresh Blackberrys with the oregon fruit puree. They say that with the puree you need 10-15% less then the whole fruit. So can i just subsitute my XX pounds of fruit with the puree(Minus 10-15%)? Also Also will I have to change the amount of sugar, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, water etc or can I keep them the same as per recipe?

Thank you for your time.

Oregan works great!! Follow the recipe on the label... always make the "full bodied" version. More fruit is ALWAYS better!

Debbie

Do Check SG before adding sugar. It is a great practice and can avoid later problems. PE is kinda open A little to much won't hurt. Same with yeast nutr.

Do Check SG before adding sugar. It is a great practice and can avoid later problems. PE is kinda open A little to much won't hurt. Same with yeast nutr.

Well I havent started yet but yes I know and have a hyrometer. Right now imbuying all the stuff I need, reading a ton and trying to learn specific Gravity. My main problem is every specific gravity/brix/PA table I come across is different so im unsure as which one to use.

Well I havent started yet but yes I know and have a hyrometer. Right now imbuying all the stuff I need, reading a ton and trying to learn specific Gravity. My main problem is every specific gravity/brix/PA table I come across is different so im unsure as which one to use.

They shouldn't be different- brix is brix. A triple scale hydrometer is handy to have, and you need a scale from .990 to about 1.150. I'm not sure how high mine goes but I usually make wines in the 1.085-1.110 range.

Back