Better bottles .. handles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p4ck37p1mp

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been using 6.5 gallon glass carboys for fermenters, looking to add a couple more and thought about trying the better bottles knowing the glass ones are going to dry up eventually. Do the handles for the glass carboys fit the better bottles? I need some means of easily moving them full, I tried moving a glass one without the handle and its a real b*tch.

I don't have a Better Bottle so I'm not sure if regular carboy handles will fit, but Northern Brewer sells a Better Bottle handle: LINK

I've used both a regular carboy handle and a BB handle to move full BB's about once for each. Neither was worth the hassle. The BB is easy enough to handle by itself, I now use neither. The BB handle though is a must have item if you use the BB o-ringed closure. It is also the tool to easily pop the closure out of the bottle.

I think they do, but you don't need them. To move a full one, grab the neck and put one hand under the bottom and lift.

Don't waste your money on the Better Bottle Handle. It's poorly designed and does not work well with an airlock installed. Duh!

I was amazed at how much lighter the BB were and the confidence gained when I lift them from the floor to on top of my fridge. You don't need handles for Better Bottles.

I had a few carboy handles so when I replaced my carboys with better bottles I transferred them over. But EdWort is right, you really don't need the handles, my last couple better bottles I haven't bothered getting handles for them.

when you say carboy handles, are you talking about the ones that go around the neck?

PLEASE PLEASE do not use them to move full glass carboys!! The neck is not designed to carry all that weight. Your asking for a REAL disaster.

I agree that handles aren't needed for the BBs. But I keep regular carboy handles attached to my 6 gallon better bottles (but not the 5 gallon ones). They fit, but I had to take them apart to get them around the neck. I use them more as an assist and hold both the handle and bottom when carrying. For the weight of 6 gallons of wort/beer, I find them helpful, but not necessary.

I use my blue better bottle handle thingy all the time. If an airlock is on the bottle, I remove it while transporting the carboy and then pop the airlock back on. I like it!
Beerbeque

I use my blue better bottle handle thingy all the time. If an airlock is on the bottle, I remove it while transporting the carboy and then pop the airlock back on. I like it!
Beerbeque

That's the only way it works. I don't like removing my airlock for any reason other than racking. From that point of view, it's poorly designed IMHO.

Back