RIMS build preparations and concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm on to what I believe are my last questions. Once they are answered, I'm going to post my electrical diagram, and physical set up to make sure there is no electrical concerns, and that everything is done properly. Here are the questions:

1.What wire gauge are people using for their 120V 15A setup? When I looked it up, no wire above 14 gauge should be used, as 16 gauge wire is rated for 13A and 14 gauge is rated for 17A. However, I doubt people are using anything below 16 gauge for their wiring, as this would be very difficult and space consuming. Can someone reassure me that I can use 16 Gauge for the power cables and control box wiring? If not, what are you using?

2. If something other than a device (such as dual row barrier strips or power coords) are rated at 20A and 330V, there will be no problem running 120V 15A through it, right? Will there be any difference in performance (more resistance?)

3. The only cover for the gang boxes at Home Depot in Canada are steel plates. If I use this, and have in contact with the threads on the element, can I connect my ground to this plate?

4. Is a thermowell necessary? I am thinking about using an RTD with a QD Which is attached to a 1/2NTP thread, so the sensor can be easily detached and cleaned. Is it just cleaning that's a concern? or the lifetime of the exposed sensor to hot wort?

5. I'm planning on using a GFCI receptacle in my control box, that way I can safely use my setup anywhere without having to worry about what receptacle my main power comes from. No real question here, just hoping to get some feedback on what problems this could pose?

6. LASTLY, I've seen a ton of different orientations for the RIMS tube. It seems vertical is preferred to reduce the risk of scorching, I understand that, but which way promotes the best drainage? Outlet at the top? Tee's pointing in different directions? I'd like to hear the logic behind some peoples design, as the threads I've read haven't really elaborated on the layout.

Thanks for your help everyone! This project has really opened my eyes to safety and electrical knowledge, I'm glad I'm learning this stuff now!

Jay

1) Use 14 gauge for your element and 16 gauge for your pump.

2) terminal blocks or barrier strips rated for higher voltage are fine and will no effect anything.

3) use the ground lug inside your metal gang box

4) use an rtd, most of us do

5) just make sure your gfci is of proper amp rating

6) personal preference, mine is horizontal with a cross and a drain.

Hope this helps

rossi46 said:
1) Use 14 gauge for your element and 16 gauge for your pump.

2) terminal blocks or barrier strips rated for higher voltage are fine and will no effect anything.

3) use the ground lug inside your metal gang box

4) use an rtd, most of us do

5) just make sure your gfci is of proper amp rating

6) personal preference, mine is horizontal with a cross and a drain.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply! I was having trouble getting someone to help me out.

About the wire gauge... I might as well just use 14 gauge power cords and connect everything inside my control panel with 14 gauge, just to make sure I don't accidentally send 16 gauge in a place it shouldn't be!

I'm definitely using an RTD, I'm more worried about whether I need a thermowell or not? To be honest I don't want to use one, but if the hot wort will severely reduce its lifetime, then I might.

Yeah, I'm just gonna grab a 15A GFCI outlet, that's all I need with a 1500W 120V element and a pump.

Thanks again!

Back