Black Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Train

Reaction score
Planning on brewing tomorrow for the first time in a while. I found a recipe for a Rye IPA I want to try:

5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.050 FG = 1.013; IBU = 58 SRM = 10 ABV = 4.9%

Ingredients:
• 3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) Light liquid malt extract
• 2.0 lbs. (0.9 kg) Light dried malt extract
• 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) rye malt
• 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Munich malt (10 °L)
• 0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Victory malt
• 6.0 oz. (170 g) honey malt

• 10.5 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins) (0.75 oz./21 g of 14% alpha acids)
• 3.75 AAU Fuggle hops (30 mins) (0.75 oz./21 g of 5% alpha acids)
• 2.5 AAU Kent Golding hops (20 mins) (0.5 oz./14 g of 5% alpha acids)
• 2.5 AAU Kent Golding hops (10 mins) (0.5 oz./14 g of 5% alpha acids)
• 1.0 oz. (28 g) Fuggle hops (0 mins)
• 2.0 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hops (dry hop)

• White Labs WLP051 (California Ale V) or Wyeast 1332 (Northwest Ale) yeast

My question: is it possible to turn something like this into a so-called black IPA? Would it work if I just sub in dark extract? Would it be weird with the rye?

A couple things, to answer your question first, yes it would be easy, you could put in say 5% carafa III and that is all it would take really.

As for the other ingredients, you have quite a few grains that need to be mashed, rye, munich and honey I think maybe not that one though.

Another thought is this recipe is setup as a pale rye ipa and the hops are probably geared toward that. I would possible research some substitutes on the hops. carafa is a debitterd malt so you won't get the astringency of a dark roasted malt but still some of the other characteristics so play with that in your hop selection.

and another though, have you tried wookey jack by FW? if you have and liked it, why don't you try finding a clone of that and start from there, granted it is a much higher gravity that this, that being said, this shouldn't be called an IPA at 1.050.

Thanks for the feedback! I've never had Wookey Jack, but it's good to know that there is such a thing as a Black Rye IPA - sounds great. I found this thread on making a clone, but unfortunately I can't do all grain right now:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/firestone-walker-wookey-jack-clone-attempt-333436/

I think I'll just stick with this recipe as a rye pale ale for now, or maybe just add a couple more # of extract to up the gravity a bit. The recipe is supposed to be an extract recipe where the specialty grains are steeped for 30min at 150°. Will that not work with these grains?

Here's where I found this: http://***********/stories/recipein...ecialty-a-experimental-beer/2169-rye-pale-ale

Thanks for the feedback! I've never had Wookey Jack, but it's good to know that there is such a thing as a Black Rye IPA - sounds great. I found this thread on making a clone, but unfortunately I can't do all grain right now:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/firestone-walker-wookey-jack-clone-attempt-333436/

I think I'll just stick with this recipe as a rye pale ale for now, or maybe just add a couple more # of extract to up the gravity a bit. The recipe is supposed to be an extract recipe where the specialty grains are steeped for 30min at 150°. Will that not work with these grains?

Here's where I found this: http://***********/stories/recipein...ecialty-a-experimental-beer/2169-rye-pale-ale

I am sure it will work out great, I am just saying that those grains need to be mashed to get sugar out of them at least. But if you are steeping at 150, try to hold the temp between 150-155 for 60 minutes and you should get some fermentability plus the flavor out of them. Remember to pull them out before 170 when your coming up to a boil unless your pH is less than 6, well in general you really don't want them in there that hot.

Soo...

I brewed this recipe last weekend and follow the recipe in the link pretty much exactly. I took your advice and bumped the steeping time up to 60 min @ 154ish in hopes of getting more fermentables out.

BUT for some reason my OG was only 1.040 instead of 1.050 I'm pretty bummed out because the recipe was already on the weak side. I thought it was hard to miss the OG by that much with an extract recipe.

I can only think of 2 reasons why this would have happened - first, maybe my grain bag was too tight during steeping. Second, my store only had fuggles i needed in leaf hop form (which I've never used before) - maybe they soaked up too much of my wort when i strained them out at the end of the boil, resulting in too much top off water going in?

Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do about it now?

I-Train- top off water can throw your gravity readings off if not mixed thoroughly. Its possible your hydrometer reading was off but your gravity is actually where it should be. This has happened to me before! I like to give the wort a good five minute stir with a sanitized spoon before taking a reading (and can attest that this does make a big difference).

Hm well I put about a gallon of water on the bottom of my fermenter, poured my wort on top, and added the rest of the water, and stirred it before taking my hydro sample out with a baster. I hope you're right though, I guess I'll just wait and see how it comes out.

I took that Wookey Jack recipe and tried to clone it for extract via Beersmith. Did some tweaking and came up with this:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 8.8 %
8.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel Rye (Weyermann) (35.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Midnight Malt (550.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.9 %
14 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 6 82.4 %
1.00 oz Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 7 34.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 8 14.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 9 21.1 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.75 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.40 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.094 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.030 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.6 %
Bitterness: 69.5 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 39.4 SRM

Any feedback would be great. Gonna try it in a couple of weeks.

Back