MINI fridge fermentation conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadillac7819

Reaction score
Can anyone tell/show me how to wire a Haier compact fridge (1.7 cu ft power: 115v, 60 mhz) with an anolog household thermostat controller (Hunter model: 40135)? Can i just splice the power in or do I need some sort of relay?

Details: I am converting my "son of fermentation chiller" from the frozen ice and a fan model to a more user friendly version with the above mentioned fridge as the cooling agent. I bought an anolog thermostat from HD for the original build and I want to repurpose it while I continue the internal debate between BCS, Brewtroller, or Raspberry Pi. I know there are easier ways to control fermentation but I am trying to re-use what I already have.

After doing some "dis-assembly" I realized that the fridge already has a relay built in so the easiest thing would be to hack the thermostat connection and put in my higher temp range thermostat. If it can power a household AC I am sure it cand work the 115v fridge. I will let you all know how it goes and post some pictures soon.

chadillac7819 said:
After doing some "dis-assembly" I realized that the fridge already has a relay built in so the easiest thing would be to hack the thermostat connection and put in my higher temp range thermostat. If it can power a household AC I am sure it cand work the 115v fridge. I will let you all know how it goes and post some pictures soon.

Just an FYI. Household thermostats usually work off of 24 volts unless its a line voltage thermostat.

Just an FYI. Household thermostats usually work off of 24 volts unless its a line voltage thermostat.

I just ran into that issue...the internal thermostat in the Fridge is a 3 wire with a ground so I can't think of any way to wire it to the hunter thermostat. It looks like I will just have to use trial and error with a thermometer and the existing thermostat until I get my BCS or Brewtroller unless any one out there has a better solution????

photo.JPG

chadillac7819 said:
I just ran into that issue...the internal thermostat in the Fridge is a 3 wire with a ground so I can't think of any way to wire it to the hunter thermostat. It looks like I will just have to use trial and error with a thermometer and the existing thermostat until I get my BCS or Brewtroller unless any one out there has a better solution????

You could use a transformer but with all that money spent just buy a ranco or Johnson controls unit that you can plug the fridge into it.

Back