Buying Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertoole

Reaction score
So my trial is over and I am really impressed with what Beersmith will do--However, I was reading on these threads (somewhere about a month ago) that Beersmith was coming out with a new Version and that if you subscribe to the Beersmith currently you will not be allowed for a free upgrade to this newer version.

Can anyone confirm this? or deny it?

the last thing I want to do is spend the cash for unlimited use and then in a month or two I have to buy it again (I'm trying to save money for a Kegging system).

Beertoole

Hmm.... I thought it was good for lifetime? I'll have to check the site again.

EDIT: Nope, it's only good for that Major Release. V 1.4 is good up until they release 2.0. But 1.5, 1.6, etc. are all free.

I can't remember when the last major update was though, and it's not like you have to stop using the old version.

I'd email the author and see if there is a policy for allowing an update if a major release happens within, say a year.

According to their forums, the author is looking for May or June to release the next version. I'd just hold off until then. He mentions thinking about a discount for existing users if he can find a way to verify their reg code...

Export your recipes to another folder. Uninstall beersmith, delete the install folder-C:\Program Files\BeerSmith
Search "beersmith" or ".bsm" in registry and delete all the keys you find...reinstall trial, import your recipes...takes like 10 minutes

Export your recipes to another folder. Uninstall beersmith, delete the install folder-C:\Program Files\BeerSmith
Search "beersmith" or ".bsm" in registry and delete all the keys you find...reinstall trial, import your recipes...takes like 10 minutes

That kinda goes against brewer's code. This is a great product that is well worth the price.

That kinda goes against brewer's code. This is a great product that is well worth the price.

normally i'd agree 100%... however, considering you'd likely pay twice withing a months time for the same product i can understand the inclination to take this route.

that said, you'd be surprised what a friendly email to brad can do. he's super awesome and totally understands the current situation. he may be able to work something out with you.

Please don't do the trial game that was recommended above.

He is working hard on the new version. The current version is very much awesome. If you want it now, I'd say buy it now and use it for a year. Get used to it. The new version is very very similar to the old version, but it has a new feel so to speak.

Or, wait a little bit for it. It is in beta testing now (I'm a tester :thumbsup:) I paid for the old version, and I will pay for the new release too. For less than the cost of a batch of brew, it's totally worth it.

No need to delete the install folder, or so I've heard...

If he was offering a substantial discount or upgrade to the new version when it comes out to those purchasing so soon to the supposed release date of the new version, I'd have bought a while back. But he's not, and the release date for the new version keeps getting pushed back.

I am in the same boat, my trial is over and i want to buy. I will gladly buy both versions but with 7 kids at home, getting the wife to buy off on it isnt too promising. So what I will probably do is buy the version that is out now and then upgrade to the newer one at a much later date.

Back