grain steeping- adding hot water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayeraye

Reaction score
I am making a partial grain IPA on my stove top. I usually boil 6-7 gallons of water to get a batch that yields 5 gallons. I want to cut down on brewing time so I'd like to steep the grains in just a few gallons for 30 min. at around 150 degrees and then add the additional water (at 150 degrees) after the steeping is done. Is this a bad idea? Will it change the character of my beer?

I have only done extract twice ( first two), but when i did it i just steeped my grains in a couple of gallons then topped up after the boil with cold water. This also helped cool my wort faster. I hope this helps answer your question. Cheers

My understanding is that you should steep in less than the full boil volume. I've heard numbers of 1 gallon/pound of specialty grains. Supposedly, extra water can lead to tannin extraction.

Personally, now that Im at a full boil, I steep on my stove with 2 Gals (regardless of specialty grain weight) while I bring the rest to boil on my turkey fryer. It does save some time, and no probs in my last 3 batches.

Yes you can do that. It can have a slight impact on the character of your beer, but I don't think you'll notice it that much. Give it a whirl for one batch and if you can taste a distinct difference for that beer, you can revert to doing steeps with your full amount of water.

Stop thinking about it so much. It isn't going to make a difference if you steep your grains in one gallon or ten gallons. Try this-start warming your water. Once it hits 140ish, toss your bag of specialty grains in. Continue heating water. Once it hits 160, pull the grains out. You are not mashing them or extracting anything from them besides color and maybe a small amount of flavor that will reflect on the final product. I only did a few extract batches w/ spec grains when starting out, and stressed over them WAY too much. As long as you pull the grains out before you hit 170, there is no need to worry about tannins.

If these are indeed crystal type grains for steeping,then steeping them att even 155-160 wouldn't be a bad thing. Just don't go over 170,or you start leaching tannins from the hulls.
I've steeped in 1.5 gallons of water for 20-30 minutes,30 being a better time. I even sparge the bag of grains to get it up to 2.5-3 gallons total boil volume. Then right before that boils,you'll get the foamy hot break for about 3 minutes. Stir down & spray with water bottle to keep it from boiling over. Then add half a 3lb bag of plain DME to the boil for hop additions. Add balance of DME & all LME at flame out to keep color lighter & no twang.

I appreciate the tips from everyone. I definitly feel more confident trying this out today :D

Back