Story from the Train

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw an interesting interaction on the train today. When I transfered onto the local train, at the turnstiles there were two young men, maybe 14 years old. They were having some problem with their farecards (or perhaps didn't have them.). A train employee, an older man was there assisting them. As I walked up, I heard the employee say "if you can tell me the square root of 64, I'll let you through." The young men conferred conspiratorially and correctly announced 8 and were let through.

I liked that the employee was both kind and encouraging. I liked that these young men could answer a math problem. Sometimes the world is good.

Being a police officer, I am allowed to let people on the train for free also. Me and an old partner used to ask questions like that when kids asked to be let on. Now drunks got a different, and much more interesting set of questions... ;)

Better they're on that train than on my lawn. Damn kids ...

Sometimes I like to give the lady at burgerking (over in the bad part of town) an old school 1 dollar coin or a 2 dollar bill to see what happens. Sometimes they know, sometimes they don't and once they called the manager because I was giving out fake money.

Saw an interesting interaction on the train today. When I transfered onto the local train, at the turnstiles there were two young men, maybe 14 years old. They were having some problem with their farecards (or perhaps didn't have them.). A train employee, an older man was there assisting them. As I walked up, I heard the employee say "if you can tell me the square root of 64, I'll let you through." The young men conferred conspiratorially and correctly announced 8 and were let through.

I liked that the employee was both kind and encouraging. I liked that these young men could answer a math problem. Sometimes the world is good.

I would hope that a fifth grader would know the square root of 64... He should have asked them a REAL question.

and I couldn't get the right change for a $5.77 bill when I gave the cashier 6.02 and she put the wrong amount into the cash register.

I've been getting incorrect change a lot lately. I hand them back money (usually only a couple of bucks), and they start thanking me like I saved their job.

In this economy you probably DID save their job.

The thought occurs to me that if you can't handle money, you should be in a field that doesn't handle money, and that inevitably I'm prolonging your unjust employment, but I'm not that big of a jerk.

I get pissy when a store won't take $50 or $100, but I've never been arrested trying to pay anyone. That's terrible.

I would hope that a fifth grader would know the square root of 64... He should have asked them a REAL question.

You'd be amazed, and probably a bit apalled, at how many kids in high school not only can't answer a question like that, but don't even know what a square root is.

Back