What is Gold LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Where does Gold LME fall in the spectrum of extracts? I've used it in my first two recipes, but have no clue where it falls (light to dark) and can't plug it into Beer Calculus to figure out what EXACTLY I just made. The first was an EPA (Northern Brew kit included), and the second was supposed to be an Amber, but I'm pretty sure mixing 2 lbs Crystal 60L with 6.6 lbs Gold LME got me closer to a Brown. My OG on this last Amber/Brown whatever Ale is 1.059.

Thanks.

I think it's just Light LME, basically. I don't know why NB calls it "Gold".

I think it's just Light LME, basically. I don't know why NB calls it "Gold".

My LHBS also carries a "Gold" from a company called Northwestern. This is what the guy at the shop talked me into for my Amber.

Most 'Gold' extract you'll find - especially that repackaged by the larger homebrew suppliers like NB - comes from Briess. No idea why Briess calls it that, except to avoid confusion with their Pilsen Light.

Briess Gold is mashed with 2-row pale malt and a small amount of CaraPils malt. It's a light-colored extract suitable for darn near any style.

Bob

Back