Adding Hazelnut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first brew, and it's going to be an oatmeal stout. I would like to make it my own and add some hazelnut, most likely in the form of a Frangelicos reduction.

Knowing as little right now as I do, when should I add it? A lot of what I'm reading suggests using it like priming sugar at bottling, but I was thinking near the end of the boil ( last 15 min) to draw flavor along with the hops.

Again I'm just new to learning the science, so any advice and an explanation as to why it works the way it does would be great!! Thanks!

Hey brew. Noob here too, but I tried to get hazelnut flavor into a panna cotta with a frangelico reduction and struck out...there's lots of other flavors and tons of sugars. I'd try to find an extract, and if you find a good one, let me know.

Also, I'd suggest NOT trying an exotic flavor in your first batch. Make a fairly standard recipe, then try the flavorings (I got this from reading the FAQs, and it's served me well in my also early journey).

Latest posts

Back