bad smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangermouse

Reaction score
damn....my batch in primary has started stinking after 2 days bubbling...a strong smell of sulfides fills the kitchen when i walk in....and im paraniod its infected....id added 1kg of glucose and 1 kg of beer enhancer and some muntons premium dried yeast...it didnt need any extra sugar but i wanted to bump up the abv

it didnt seem to be bubbling after a day so i lifted the lid and a krausen was there
but looked a bit weird some of the krausen was pure white like the glucose and the rest was dirty yellow

the lid of the fementing bucket wasnt pre drilled so i had to do it by hand and did a bad job so i knew air was escaping from round the bung

so yesterday i smeared some vaseline round the bung and the little split in the lid where i knew the co2 was escaping to get it bubblin in the airlock

.....and i woke this morning to the smell of sulfide...
my last 2 batches smelled clean as a whistle to this one!! what do u reckon...should i just take a chill pill for a bit or should i be worried!:mad:

You don't say what style beer you are making. Some lager yeast strains will smell very sulferish(is that a word:drunk: ). I did a Kolsch that reeked everytime I opened the fridge the carby was in. It is most likely normal so relax and have a homebrew.:D

yeh its a lager but due to the yeast that i got with the original kit being out of date i got some muntons premium yeast and used that instead.......the original yeast was saflager s-23 which is a proper lager yeast where as the muntons stuff i used is more of an allrounder

well i hope u are right and everything is ok cos the thing is bubbling like hell!...if it is ok i reckon this will be my best batch so far..................touch wood!

plus when i was knocking this one up i boiled some water and boiled some hop pellets and irish moss for 15 mins and added it to the brew could this be partly to blame for the smell!

I understand more hops, but why the Irish moss? It's not a fining and doesn't do anything for you except during the boil. I'd say leave the ale alone and let it ferment.

Back