My plans for REAL cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
I just purchased 8 gal of fresh pressed cider from a local farm, I took it home put into carboys and used wyesast 4766 for 4 of the gallons and left the other 3 alone to ferment on there own, just wondering if anybody has recomendations on what to do (or not to do) with the natural cider. I dont want to end up with 3 gal of AC vinergar! O.G. 1.051 :cross:

I would recommend that you control your fermentation temps. You will probably want to ferment the one with wild yeast in the lows 50's.

Yep - wild yeast likes it nice and cool. You also should check it for taste once the sg gets to about 1.020 and stop it if it starts getting weird.

Dont worry about the wild yeast in the wyeast batch, they will quickly be overwhelmed by the cultured yeast and the early part of the ferment is where they taste the best

Just keep a proper air lock on it and don't let it get too warm, and you shouldn't have to worry about it turning to vinegar. When making hard apple cider pressed from apples, I find it useful to use a secondary fermenter as well. What apple blend are you using?

Back