Working on next batch...pale/ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppedIPA

Reaction score
Quick history the first batch was
8lbs Alexanders pale malt extract
1/2 lb CaraMunich 50-57
1/2 lb CaraMalt 30-37
with
1oz nugget Pellets @ 60min
1/2oz homegrown NewPort @ 30 min
1/2oz cascade Pellets @ 20 min
3/4oz cascade homegrown @20 min
1/2oz kent golding dry hop
1oz cascade homegrown dry hop
Wyeast 1056 smack pack
Og 1.050
final 1.016
It turned out tasty but i really prefer a very hoppy ale and this was not close to what i like so the 2nd batch was the same "malt/grain" build but changed up the Hops..
1oz each nugget & cascade @60min
1oz each nugget & cascade @45min
3/4oz nugget @ 20min
1/2oz cascade @20min
2oz Cascade dry hop
1/2oz Kent golding dry hop
wow what a different brew much closer to what i was looking for.. SO if your still reading.. THe next brew i changed out the CaraMalt and CaraMunich for
1/2 lb Crystal 20
1/2 lb CaraPils
Plus adding a alexanders Wheat Malt ectrack kicker 1.4lbs
along with the 8kbs of Alexanders Pale malt extract.

thinking of going with nugget mostly on boil
2oz Nugget @ 60min
2oz Nugget @ 45min
2oz Nugget @ 20min
2oz Willamette @ 5min
2.5oz cascade dryhop
I am just wanting to see what everyone one anyone thinks?
I am not looking for a balanced ale obviously....

Oh i got my hops from These guys they are having quite the "winter sale" now too..! ended up ordering over 10#s hops from them i could not resist the prices..
facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000977055084 Willamette Valley Hops

Thank you..

If you put nugget as bittering, nugget as flavoring, and willamette/cascade as aroma/dry hop you might lose the nugget. Either add a flavor addition of willamette/cascade or do a dry hop of nugget/willamette/cascade. If you are going to through that much nugget into the boil why not continue it all the way through. you dont want to smell one thing and taste the other hop wise.

Ok that makes sense. I didnt think Nugget was much of a aromatic style hop but why the heck not right? maybe delete the Willamette totally and do Nugget instead @5min and then also dry hop with Nugget/Cascade? Or do you think i should throw some cascade in durring the boil..? Which would keep it more simple and maybe less confusing to the pallet?

Back