bench capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfaridoni

Reaction score
I just got a bench capper and tried to use it yesterday. The thing will not crimp the caps. I used as much pressure as I dared but using more might break the bottle. It has a round capper head as opposed to bell shaped one and I'm wondering if that may be the problem. I had to use my wing type capper to get the bottling done. Any suggestions?

I recently got a bench capper too and had the same concern, what I was doing wrong with mine was leaving far too bigger gap between the cap and the bell, try and get it as close as you can an then when you pull the lever down you'll feel it fold the cap over and you will have to pull the bottle down and out of the bell, that was my experience with my new capper do give that a try

I tried it like you said but no go. The thing I see with mine is it has a round capper head, not a bell shaped one. All the you tube how to's I looked at showed bell heads and that may be the problem. Had to use my wing lever capper to do the bottling.

A round capper head sounds like a Ferarri capper.
They often come with a 29mm head unless you specify 26mm. The heads are swappable.

That makes sense. I'll have to call and see if I can get the 26mm if this isn't one on it now. Thanks

you'll feel it fold the cap over and you will have to pull the bottle down and out of the bell

You might want to try rubbing a little oil on the capper lip. This helped reduce the number of bottles that stuck in the capper post-crimp. I've used both Canola oil and butcher's block oil, just a very thin coating.

Finally got the capper to work right. I took out the magnet and spring and it crimps like I figured it should. I don't need the magnet because I but a cap on each bottle after filling and then cap, about 12 at a time. The magnet moved up pretty easily when I pushed with my finger but I needed tons of pressure to get an good enough crimp, but not a perfect one. Have no idea why this happens but that's what it is. Gives me something to do while my bottles carbonate though, figuring it out.

Back