Too many hops?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyBrews

Reaction score
So I brewed up my own version of Barleywaters "Hop Juice IIPA" today and i just realized i didn't put in .5 for some of the hop additions when i re-wrote it, and I added a full once for every addition. Kinda worried this will be too bitter. Anyone have any suggestions. Still have the option of dry hopping or not. Thanks Yal!

His recipe hop schedule looked like this-

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.5 IBU
1.00 ozWarrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (45 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (45 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops

For mine i did this-

1.00 oz warrior (60 min first wort hop)
1.00 oz zythos (60 min)
1.00 oz citra (60 min)
1.00 oz centennial (45 min)
1.00 oz cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz centennial (30 min)
1.00 oz centennial (10 min)
1.00 oz cascade (10 min)

Yeah, you did bitter it pretty good there. I would think that you should most definately dry hop the sh*t out of it, no reason not to at this point. But you could always give it a taste after fermentation is done and decide there. I personally think that those 45 minute additions would be better served around 15-20 minutes, but I have never had the original beer you're cloning.. I have over bittered a beer before and I still drank it, so RDWHAHB!

Yeah, you did bitter it pretty good there. I would think that you should most definately dry hop the sh*t out of it, no reason not to at this point. But you could always give it a taste after fermentation is done and decide there. I personally think that those 45 minute additions would be better served around 15-20 minutes, but I have never had the original beer you're cloning.. I have over bittered a beer before and I still drank it, so RDWHAHB!

Haha Ya i did! I think i will go ahead and give a taste before secondary. and yes i agree no reason to cut back on the hops now. i wouldn't be making this if i was scared of em. :cross:

I can't think of a single reason not to double, or even triple the amount of dry hops. Might as well try and match that bite with some aroma and perceived flavor from loads of dry hops! I would be interested in the results.

I can't think of a single reason not to double, or even triple the amount of dry hops. Might as well try and match that bite with some aroma and perceived flavor from loads of dry hops! I would be interested in the results.

Right on!! I'l go for double the dry hops for sure. I am hoping its really good and i'm on to something. I'l keep you posted!! :mug:

Your Warrior additions will double and the Centennial will add something like 5-10 IBU. So, you've added around 30 IBU or so. Considering the recipe called for about 130 IBU, I don't think you'll be able to really tell that it's 30 IBU higher. Our taste threshold is a little over 100 IBU and we can discern that things are more bitter above that, but no where near the same degree as we can tell 20 IBU from 50 IBU.

I've had Mikkeller's 1000 IBU brew and it didn't really taste much more bitter to me than some IPAs I've had that were 120-150 IBU. It did have a ton of hop flavor, though.

Your Warrior additions will double and the Centennial will add something like 5-10 IBU. So, you've added around 30 IBU or so. Considering the recipe called for about 130 IBU, I don't think you'll be able to really tell that it's 30 IBU higher. Our taste threshold is a little over 100 IBU and we can discern that things are more bitter above that, but no where near the same degree as we can tell 20 IBU from 50 IBU.

I've had Mikkeller's 1000 IBU brew and it didn't really taste much more bitter to me than some IPAs I've had that were 120-150 IBU. It did have a ton of hop flavor, though.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think you've overly bittered the beer. What was the OG? If you have enough malt background, you probably won't even notice a difference.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think you've overly bittered the beer. What was the OG? If you have enough malt background, you probably won't even notice a difference.

Thanks guys. I did not take an OG reading. This is an extract recipe. I used 6.6lbs of Gold LME, 3lbs of DME and 1lb Crystal 40.0.(steeping grains). This is my first simple big beer. Never really thought it was a huge deal using extract recipes but then again now i'm starting to see why it matters:drunk:!!

I read somewhere that anything over 100 ibu isn't discernible, except for aroma. I've brewed and tasted some hop blasted beers and feel that this is fairly accurate. What I have found is that the hopped up beasts offer more flavor and aroma when the hops used are paired nicely.

I read somewhere that anything over 100 ibu isn't discernible, except for aroma. I've brewed and tasted some hop blasted beers and feel that this is fairly accurate. What I have found is that the hopped up beasts offer more flavor and aroma when the hops used are paired nicely.

Good to know!! Do you think these will pair up nicely?

1.00 oz zythos (60 min)
1.00 oz citra (60 min)
1.00 oz cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz cascade (10 min)

I do. I'm not very familiar with Zythos, but from what I've read it sounds good there. I'm interested to see how your Citra at 60 without another addition turns out. I've only used Citra at later additions and dry hops. I have always been a fan of pairing centennial and cascade.

I do. I'm not very familiar with Zythos, but from what I've read it sounds good there. I'm interested to see how your Citra at 60 without another addition turns out. I've only used Citra at later additions and dry hops. I have always been a fan of pairing centennial and cascade.

Hmmmm. Ya i hope the early citra addition was a good decision. Was trying to match the alpha of the warrior and citra was the closest one. BtW the zythos and the warrior smelled soo good!! Thinking of making a simple pale recipe just using those. :mug:

Good to know!! Do you think these will pair up nicely?

1.00 oz zythos (60 min)
1.00 oz citra (60 min)
1.00 oz cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz cascade (10 min)

I really think shifting most of those to 20 minutes and less in the boil would give you more hop flavor and aroma! ;)

I really think shifting most of those to 20 minutes and less in the boil would give you more hop flavor and aroma! ;)

Agreed. Take one or two of the 45 minute additions, double the amount, and then FWH or add at 20 min left.

Centennial works really well in FWH, along with Amarillo, Chinook (at least the batch I got, which was not as piney and very grapefruity), and Cascade, in my experiences. I bet Simcoe would do well too, but I've not FWH with it yet.

I advocate shifting more hops at less time boiling since I read about it, tried it, and had my "standard" IPA come out much better using the same recipe but with either FWH or loaded up late additions. You get the bitterness and the hop aroma and flavor and it just makes a better beer.

Agreed. Take one or two of the 45 minute additions, double the amount, and then FWH or add at 20 min left.

Centennial works really well in FWH, along with Amarillo, Chinook (at least the batch I got, which was not as piney and very grapefruity), and Cascade, in my experiences. I bet Simcoe would do well too, but I've not FWH with it yet.

I advocate shifting more hops at less time boiling since I read about it, tried it, and had my "standard" IPA come out much better using the same recipe but with either FWH or loaded up late additions. You get the bitterness and the hop aroma and flavor and it just makes a better beer.

Got ya!! Cheers!! :mug:

Def gonna put more citra in for dry hopping!! :D

Back