BYO Ommegang Abbey Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google search turned the recipe below up, right? Looks like a lot of aromatic and special roast. I'm suspicious of a recipe that only gets ~40% of its fermentables from the base malt (the mash also has a pretty short stay in the Sacch range for a mash that is pretty light on the enzymes). I'm just a little extra suspicious because I had a bad result from BYO's Hennepin clone (too much ground ginger).

1074 OG 1013 FG
22 IBU 27 SRM 7.8% ABV

5 lb. 9.6 oz. Pilsner malt
2.25 lb. aromatic malt
1 lb. 6.4 oz. crystal 20
2.25 lb. Briess Special Roast malt (50 Lovibond)
2.66 lb. Corn Sugar
6.25 AAU Styrian Goldings (60 min) (1.25 oz. of 5% alpha acids)
.33 oz. Styrian Goldings (0 min)
.25 oz. Curacao Orange Peel
.5 oz. Licorice root
Wyeast 1214 or cultured Ommegang yeast

Step mash with a 10 min. rest @ 113, 10 min @ 144, 15 min. @ 154 and 15 min. @ 162, and 5 min @ 169. Boil for 90 min, adding corn sugar at start of boil. Add orange peel and licorice for final 15 min of boil. Ferment at 76-84 (yes, that hot) Condition for 2 weeks at 28 degrees. Carbonate to 3 vols.

Yeah, that's the recipe. And I too am suspicious/curious of the recipe. Hoping someone who has brewed it can opine.

In the other posts about this beer, they didn't seem to feel that way. Have you had success without that? (If you have, I will certainly join you this weekend :mug:)

Back