Brew Day, 6.5gal boil, new camera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
Taking pics with new camera, ~5 min left in the boil and first time trying 6.5 gal boil:
P1000099.JPG

Next:

P1000100.JPG

I didn't realize it until later I got a shot just before the boilover. Ugh, what a mess. I'll stick to 6 gal max in that 30qt pot. :mug:

I didn't realize it until later I got a shot just before the boilover. Ugh, what a mess. I'll stick to 6 gal max in that 30qt pot. :mug:

You can boil 7 gallons in a 30qt pot easily. And it becomes even easier if you use some Fermcap-S!:mug:

Looks eerily familiar to my brew day on Sunday...rain, umbrella, me standing inside the slider watching the pot for 60 mins jumpin over to turn the heat up/down to keep it all in the 30 qt turkey fryer...

I took my lunch hour at my buddy's welding shop today and finally dropped 2 kegs and stainless couplings off for modification...my 30 qt turned upside down might just become my brew stool....

Ya, I thought the rain was suppose to be gone but it started up on me. I just pull the fryer just outside my back door to the kitchen under the overhang, works pretty good.

The time diff between pic 1 and pic 2 was 9 seconds (checked the file create time). I was basically just playing around with my new camera, not watching the boil so much (obviously ;)). Now that I remember, I put the camera down and shut off the heat. My 1 hr boil time had 30s left so I just called it a wrap and turned my water on to my IC that I already had hooked up. I had cranked my heat up trying to get more boil off and is the main reason for the boil over. I ended up with 5.5 gal and SG of 1.067 (IPA).

Overall, just happening to catch the exact moment of a boilover looked pretty cool and worth sharing. Nothing like being front seat to a train wreck.

Latest posts

Back