Ice Cream Motor Stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
So, I picked up this Rival Ice Cream Maker for free about 2 years ago and I'm finally getting around to converting it into a HLT stirrer. What do you suppose I could do to adapt a stir rod to that weird recessed connector? I think the original paddle had those springed fins on either side that would lock to the recess. Also, it doesn't stir particularly fast, but it doesn't really need to. Also, it will definitely be louder than my two burners and pump combined.

2013-01-29 09.04.39.jpg

I have one of those. The freezer portion leaked out and I didn't feel comfortable using it. I had the same idea. If you have the actual stirrer, you might be able to cut the top end off and use a set screw to hold it into the top of your new stir rod. Maybe even use the bottom portion as the stirrer too.

I have one of those. The freezer portion leaked out and I didn't feel comfortable using it. I had the same idea. If you have the actual stirrer, you might be able to cut the top end off and use a set screw to hold it into the top of your new stir rod. Maybe even use the bottom portion as the stirrer too.

Thats just it, I dont have the original.

True....I didn't consider JB. Was hoping for a more detachable solution :) But whatever works!

Why would you want to stir the HLT?

Supposedly there could be some stratification of the water temperature and stirring it would prevent that. The theory is that the wort temperature could be too high in one spot and too low in another, but having the water mixing well will keep the hole volume of water the same temp, and thus keeping the wort temps even.

Supposedly there could be some stratification of the water temperature and stirring it would prevent that. The theory is that the wort temperature could be too high in one spot and too low in another, but having the water mixing well will keep the hole volume of water the same temp, and thus keeping the wort temps even.

Are you talking about a HLT or a mash tun?

Warning.. HIJACK..

This discussion brought up a new thought for me..

Ice cream get's pretty thick and heavy in the process.. considering this.. do you think one of these motors has enough torque to run a grain mill? They certainly run at a low enough speed.. (too low?)

Interestingly, I was watching a vid a few months ago where an Ozzy used a windshield wiper motor with a 120v to 12v device to run his.. I wouldn't have thought of that.. Might make a great DIY.

HIACK OFF

Warning.. HIJACK..

Ice cream get's pretty thick and heavy in the process.. considering this.. do you think one of these motors has enough torque to run a grain mill? They certainly run at a low enough speed.. (too low?)

Way too slow.

Are you talking about a HLT or a mash tun?

HLT. In some herms the coil is suspended in the HLT to heat the wort flowing through it. The HLT water determines the mash temp. Supposedly not stirring the water in the HLT could cause the wort to get too hot in one location and too cool in the other.

Personally, I don't think there is enough time for the wort to overheat/underheat while going through the coil, but I have never tested it to know.

Warning.. HIJACK..

Interestingly, I was watching a vid a few months ago where an Ozzy used a windshield wiper motor with a 120v to 12v device to run his.. I wouldn't have thought of that.. Might make a great DIY.

HIACK OFF

The ice cream motor is way too slow and way too underpowered to crush grain. I'm still racking my brain for something cheap and easy to use for that though.

Back