DFH Hellhound on my Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of these and they look bottle conditioned. I can't find anything saying if it is, or isn't, and what kind of yeast it is. Anyone have any idea? I'm considering culturing it.

DFH is pretty guarded on their yeast secrets, I know White Labs provides their proprietary strain used in many of their standard offerings. I'd give it a try to see if you can harvest anything!

Its weird cause I'm used to seeing all their stuff filtered. When I saw the yeast at the bottom of the bomber I was unsure what to think of it. That and their site doesn't mention anything on it.

Anybody have any info on this? KeyWest, did you try to grow a starter? I had a bottle of this last night and had the same question. There is quite a bit of sediment in there. I think I'm going to make a very small starter and see what happens. I would love to grow some of DFH's yeast and have it for myself!

Fordzilla said:
Anybody have any info on this? KeyWest, did you try to grow a starter? I had a bottle of this last night and had the same question. There is quite a bit of sediment in there. I think I'm going to make a very small starter and see what happens. I would love to grow some of DFH's yeast and have it for myself!

I haven't yet but I'm planning on it. Right now I'm saving the bottle. When the time comes though I gonna try to harvest the yeast for a Sorachi Ace/Motueka IPA.

Picked up a bottle of this today. I'll probably drink it tonight and get a starter going to see if it will take off in the next few days.

Nice! Let us know how it goes. If it is in fact yeast I will make a starter and store it in a mason jar.

I made a 400 ml starter, might have been too much. Its been going for about 18 hours now without much activity as far as I can tell. I'll let it go another day or two and see if anything happens.

One thing to note is that the sediment is very light and not compact in the bottle so be very careful when pouring your glass I probably lost half of what was in the bottle. I am hoping that the sediment is not just lemon bits or all dead from being in a 10% brew.

I plan on making a quick 1 gallon batch with it if I get any activity so I can judge the taste.

I'm still not seeing anything. Added a little nutrient yesterday and going to let it keep going for a couple more days. I probably added to much starter at first, should have stepped it up slower.

Just something to add (not trying to be a downer) that even if that a beer is bottle conditioned, it may not be a brewery's primary yeast. If I recall, there are many breweries which filter and then bottle condition with a secondary yeast to protect proprietary yeast strains. I think there is a list of beers on the site which details successful yeast harvest and talks about that. If DFH is pretty guarded on their yeast, I think what you might have, if you do, is a secondary yeast. Good luck though.

B

I decided mine was going nowhere. Checked the gravity and it was the same as the starter so I dumped it. Better luck to you guys.

Latest posts

Back