Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory11

Reaction score
I made a high gravity beer and today is the day to bottle. Like a dummy, I didn't measure f.g. Until after I started to rack it onto the priming sugar. My gravity is 1.030. Target f.g. Is 1.017-1.022. O.g. Was 1.090. Should I rack it back to the fermenter and hope it finishes up? I think it got stuck because I didn't aerorated it enough.
I

I made a high gravity beer and today is the day to bottle. Like a dummy, I didn't measure f.g. Until after I started to rack it onto the priming sugar. My gravity is 1.030. Target f.g. Is 1.017-1.022. O.g. Was 1.090. Should I rack it back to the fermenter and hope it finishes up? I think it got stuck because I didn't aerorated it enough.
I

Wouldn't worry at this point. You've already racked to the bottling bucket just bottle it up.

I'm worried the added sugar and stirring it up might start up some fermentation and ill have two cases of bottle bombs. :(

Unfortunately your FG reading is off since you already added the sugar so for all you know it's closer to the desired FG then your reading.

How long did it ferment?
AG or Extract?
Yeast used?
Temperature of mash?
Temperature of fermentation?
Recipe?

At 1.090, 1.027 would be a reasonable FG so it's not that far off. Was the OG higher than expected?

Lots of questions to answer, for all we know it could be done and since you already racked, package it:)

I took a sample as it was siphoning into the bottling bucket, so the sugar wasn't in the sample. It's a partial mash of 8lbs dme and 6lbs of grains. Unfortunately I don't know the mash temps.

I've been chatting with some local homebrew guys and have figured some things out. Thanks for the help everyone.

This is why I always take SG readings over multiple days before a brew ever leaves primary. Even if it's been sitting there for a month, knowing what the FG is can go a long way in diagnosing either that beer or future batches.

just leave it alone, and go with it. wait a few extra days to open the first one if you are worried.

but i've learned that in general, messing around with the beer to try to fix things causes more trouble than it fixes.

remember, it's beer. it will be fine.

Update: Tastes like bitter, overpowering coffee. I've had a few but decided to leave the rest in the crawl space for an undetermined Amount of time. Maybe a few more weeks, maybe months. We'll see. Btw, crawl space is insulated and stays at a pretty constant 63*-66* during winter.

Back