Decoction Mash for an ALE!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a decoction mash for an ale?

Maybe for an old ale or I could see myself one day trying it for my Oktoberfest I ferment with Wyeast 1338.

Or would it be a complete waste of time because the ale yeast characteristics 'cover up' much of the benefit?

Since I only PM, I don't see a decoction being worth my time, but eventually when I decide to go all-grain, it's something I'll probably want to try.

Alts and Kolsch are also traditionally decocted. I don't think it matters what yeast, it matters what malt you brew with.

I decocted with an Altbier. The maltiness was really tasty and still present despite over attenuation.

I plan on decocting the Dunkelweizen I'd like to brew this weekend.

Would be interesting to decoct a barleywine...

I've done a decoction on a Golden Strong Ale. I can't say if it had a big impact on the beer, but it was a fun process to try.

Before I went back to school, I did decoction mashes for all of my beers (hefeweizen, summer ale, porter, etc.) just because I enjoy the process. No idea how much effect it had, if any, but I had more fun... which is why I homebrew.

I decocted a dunkelwezen yesterday, took most of the day. It's a lot more work but my personal experience is it's worth the extra effort for a weizen beer (I also decocted my Roggen.) I decocted a BGS once and think it was a total waste of time.

Back