So the 1st batch is bottled (some questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGerard

Reaction score
10 days in the primary, bubbling stopped after about a week, got a FG of 1008 (give or take, my hydrometer tilts). Bottling wasn't that bad, even working by myself at midnite (although it definitely would have been quicker and more fun to have someone to help). I must have topped off to a little more than 5 gallons tho, because I ended up with 53 bottles, including 2 16 ozers.

I have a few questions/comments on what I think were mistakes that I made. Number 1, used all ultralight and light extract, I think that took more away from body than I thought. Number 2, I boiled 4 gallons down to 3 as my boil, and I steeped about a pound of mixed carapils and crystal in that, I'm thinking that maybe I should have steeped in less water and added it to the boil, would it have made any difference? Number 3, and really the most important question, I smelled and tasted my hydro sample, and it kind of had an Amstel light quality, rather thin, and a little watery. I'm assuming that the flavor is not going to change much during the carbonation process, right? Obviously that is not the finished beer, so I reserve judgment, but I think I used too many "light" ingredients and maybe made too weak of a beer. I'm sure it will be drinkable, but I think next time a little darker grains, and definitely mixing in some amber extract.

those grains you used will give your brew good body, especially because Carapils(I think) needs to be mashed, so it should give your beer unfermentables, which result in body. Flat beer tends to taste thin in general, carbonation will remedy that. In time it will be great!

That's good to know. When it was originally in the bucket, it had a moderately dark color, like maybe a Sam Adams, but when I finally opened up the bucket last nite, it was much much lighter. Well, if it "fills out" at all during carbing, I agree, I think I will have a very nice beer.

slightly confused....did you steep the grains first, then pull them out, add your extract, and boil? or did you do it in reverse? because you steep first, then boil, and don't steep above 170F (155-160F ideally) or you might pull astringent tannins out of the grain and into the beer.

I steeped first, about 20-30 mins, took the bag out before 170, I just am not sure if by steeping them in 4 gallons of water instead of the standard 2 it made any difference. One thing I didn't do was rinse them with water, although I did let the bag drain (without squeezing).

Back